• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

aw4 how many quarts of fluid

depends? just doing a drain and fill or power flushing it>?

filter, drain and fill............ unless you think its worth the money to get it flushed:dunno: its a 2000 with 138000 and i just bought it at 130000 so i dont know if its been done already.
i already changed my front and rear diff gear oil and t/c so now i just have the tranny.

About 6-7 to change and about 13 to flush clean (looking red). Keep checking the dipstick and top off at the end of final road test. Flush by removing return line.

I could be wrong but I think it holds a total of 8 quarts, but 4 stay in the converter...so to change it only takes 4 quarts.

Wouldnt you need to keep a constant flow of new fluid to do a flush?

2000xj4x4 said:
can someone tell me how if there is any way to flush the tranny at home without the machine. i would rather do that than just drain and fill.

if you have access to a large vat of tranny fluid and a big drain pan, you could do it yourself.

you would disconnect the lines and have the out (to cooler) line going in the drain and the in (from cooler) coming from the clean fluid.

as the vehicle runs, it will use its own suction power to swap fluids but it would be a pain in the ass.

what i do is just drain and change and then do it again a few weeks later until the fluid is nice and pretty

-Tim

jeepnuts311 said:
if you have access to a large vat of tranny fluid and a big drain pan, you could do it yourself.

you would disconnect the lines and have the out (to cooler) line going in the drain and the in (from cooler) coming from the clean fluid.

as the vehicle runs, it will use its own suction power to swap fluids but it would be a pain in the ass.

what i do is just drain and change and then do it again a few weeks later until the fluid is nice and pretty

-Tim

I had read it this way many times for many years as well, but I recall a recent thread in which some seasoned veterans offered thier observations of the AW4 - It does NOT apply suction to the return line. The only way to add fluid is through the dipstick. One way would be to measure until a quart or two comes out, stop it, and put in another quart (or two). One member reported that he waited for the fluid to start "sputtering" before he refilled, and had no problems.

Someone should probably add that one to the FAQ if they can find it. Advanced search seems to be down. Did it get limited to red-names only?

2000xj4x4 said:
ok so i can flush it at home???? i dont need one of those machines?
if so will somebody pease walk me through it?
Here is how I do it:

*First drain from pan with the plug and refill
*I have a trans cooler line already cut and fitted with rubber hoses for an external cooler mounted in front of the radiator (if you don't have this find the return line and make a hose with a pipe thread nipple...although I think it is a good time to install an external oil cooler)
*BTW the rearmost cooler line is the return line although some people like to put the extenal cooler "ahead" of the radiator input (on the pressure out side)
*I disconnect the line and aim them through a funnel into a four quart container
*someone to help will make it easier, but since I do it myself, I start the engine and pump out about three + quarts and then shut it off.
*I then add three quart of fresh ATF
*I repeat this procedure until the fluid coming out is clean (you will notice the difference)

Used about 13 quarts.

Here's how I did it on my Chrysler van.........piece of cake.

Jay in MA

===================

I was adding a trans cooler anyways so I decided I was going to try the flush method. Just remove the return line to the trans (or the lower hose on the
trans cooler that is part of the radiator. You'll have a good idea of how much
ATF you'll need if you keep track of what was drained through the pan and and know the total number of qaurts to refill the entire system.

After thoroughly cleaning the pan and gasket areas, reinstall the pan and add the new new fluid til full on the stick. Hang the return line from the radiator into a clear 1 gallon jug and start the car. Leave in Park and let it pump out what you know to be the difference between total refill capacity and what landed in the drain pan. You'll see the ATF changing from the old dirty color to the bright red color. Keep adding the rest of the ATF as it pumps out. I wasted a quart or so just be sure I got it all out. It pumps out in a very manageable flow rate.

I was surprized how dirty the fluid was that was being pumped out of the
converter. It appeared to be dirtier than the fluid that landed in the drain
pan???

so many people overthinking it.

there is no filter, so don't bother dropping the pan. pull the plug, which will drop about 3 quarts, fill it back up with fresh fluid, drive around the block, pull the plug, refill, drive around the block, repeat 2 or 3 more times.

BrettM said:
so many people overthinking it.

there is no filter, so don't bother dropping the pan.

Uh, yeah there is. Relatively inexpensive and readily available. It's more of a mesh screen than a traditional filter, but it's a fine enough mesh that it can become restricted and hinder the operation of the trans. I would most certainly go to the trouble of changing it on a higher mileage XJ w/ unknown history.

Gee BrettM, I wonder what the new part in the box on my bench is then???

In this case, there is a right way and an easy way...even your way isn't the easy way. Maybe you are underthinking it.

If you're going to do it like that, leave it on the blocks, start it, put it through the gears for a couple of minutes and drain....repeat 2 or 3 times. You still won't have 100% fresh fluid when you're done.

The way I did it, you just stand there pouring new fluid in as the dirty fluid pumps out into the bottle. When you've filled two 1 gallon jugs you shut off the engine, reconnect the line and top it off as necessary.

Jay in MA

yeah if there's no filter in the aw-4 then i dont have an aw-4...because there was definately a flat screen filter which i replaced. also a good idea to drop the pan and wipe it clean as well as clean the magnets.

langer1 said:
The flushing machines do a much better job because they Back flush

i have heard that back flushing or powerflushing can loosen up deposits or buildup that may have been there for a long time and they can get stuck elsewhere in the tranny causing more problems than you solved.

following this logic, you would want to do a tranny flush using the torque converters own power to flush the system out.

i dont know if there is any truth to this.

i use brettMs method of draining it and refilling it about 3 times before its all red. 240,000 miles on my aw4

-Tim

Mine took 4qts on a quick drain and fill. I just did it recently but have 4 more qts ready to drain and fill it again now that the first 4 have circulated.

Back