• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Center console options

Bdiddy11

NAXJA Forum User
Would a center console out of a Grand Cherokee fit into an XJ with little work?

I was at a junk yard today and they are in plenty. They look pretty good too, a lot like the 97+ consoles.

Just curious because in my area 97+ consoles are hard to come by and I need a new console, pref. with cupholders.

Thanks

Bdiddy, I have kind of wondered the same thing myself. See my previous thought & post in Non Tech section about perhaps mfring a high quality console out of wood & perhaps some fabric (leather) work. I will find my post & repeat it here in a bit. It is my understanding that the Grand console will work, but it is just a few inches shorter & an interim attachment has to be manufactured. I also understand that the break lever does not line up correctly as the Standard is down the center & the Grand lever is to the side. I have have never heard yet of any clear explanation that has succesfully worked & will resolve this issue to date. Another words someone that has actually completed the whole project completely & succesfully without complications. I would like to see a sollution as well if there is anything out there.

My stock center console gave out years ago. I have had no luck locating a center console that matches my original (Tan/Beige color, Stick shift, 4WD lever, HVAC ducts) & is in good condition. Tuffy still does not make one to my knowledge either to match the OEM console. Has anyone ever tried making a nice high quality console constructed of wood or any other heavy duty material? I would think Tuffy might have something along their good lines, made to replace the original console in the 85 with upgrades, but they don't, just inserts unfortunately. I have discussed it with them for years & I would think there would be a good market for it is very few folks were completely satisfied with the old originals, even when in good condition, but apparently I am wrong. If so, any particulars, problems, tips, etc, etc.?

If I end up having to manufacture this thing out of wood or something I will try do build a real nice one that is durable, secure, & has cupholders & provide some plans or drawings regarding the succesful end product. I know it will be a challenge thought. Not sure how much difference if any there is between an 85 & your 97 regarding the console though. I wish I knew for certain.

Mine is actually a 96, so same old console that should be in your 85. Ebrake down the middle with no cupholders. 97 is when it changed. I like the newer style consoles with cupholders and what not.

With some mods it will work. Here's an MJ's with a foot ebrake so it's easier but the early XJ is also possible with some work. (lost my XJ console pics)

xj_console_99_into_90.jpg

Back