• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dana 35 housing question

Roemer1

NAXJA Forum User
This may have been covered before but for the life of me I can't find a thread on it any where.

Is there a difference between the Dana 35 housings for ABS and non ABS in a 1997 and newer XJ?

x2

Additionally, on a 97+:

If you have ABS, you have a Dana 35
If you don't have ABS, you have a Chrysler 8.25

There is no such thing as a 97+ Dana 35 without ABS (unless it's been modified).

The difference, I believe, is limited to some holes in the backing plates for the drum brakes. Could be wrong though.

Last edited:
This may have been covered before but for the life of me I can't find a thread on it any where.

Is there a difference between the Dana 35 housings for ABS and non ABS in a 1997 and newer XJ?

The D35 used with ABS in the XJ wasn't a RWAL variation (I think,) where the sensor and tone ring were located in the housing (sensor) and behind the ring gear (tone ring.) However, the ABS parts can be left in place when installed in a vehicle that doesn't have ABS.

Else, the tone rings and sensors are out at the wheel ends of the shafts - the tone ring is pressed onto the shaft, and the sensor is mounted to the backing plate. Again, these may be used in a vehicle without ABS without incident.

The Chrysler 8.25 under the XJ and MJ never came with ABS, although there are ABS variations of the axle found under various Dodge light trucks (like the Dakota.)

The Dana 35 used after 1993 or so had roughly even odds of being ABS or no - no fixed rule.

If you have ABS, you have the D35. If you do not have ABS, you've got a fifry-fifty shot at which axle - look at the cover to differentiate. The cover on the D35 is shaped like an oval, while the C8.25 will have a flat bottom on the housing and has a roundish or a hexagonal cover.

The presence of a "pop-in" rubber plug isn't a reliable indicator, either. Whichever axle you have, if you have the pop-in plug, I'd suggest either getting plugs by the handful (keep some around - they harden and crack after a while,) or get an earlier cover (both axles have been around for a bit) that takes a standard threaded pipe plug, and get a brass plug to put in. Should be 3/8" NPT, and you can get them at the hardware store for a couple of bucks.

Rear Axles
(Note on Dana 35 axles sometimes referred to as Dana 35C - The "C" does not stand for c-clip. It stands for "custom" meaning it came from Dana unfinished.)
(Note on 8.25 axles - none of these axles were used on XJs with ABS brakes. If you have ABS, you have the Dana 35. Without ABS you could have either axle. 8.25 axles are c-clip)

Dana 35 non c-clip - 27 spline, 1.18" diameter shafts, 7.58" ring gear, 2.62" axle tube - used 84-89
Dana 35 c-clip - 27 spline, 1.18" diameter shafts, 7.58" ring gear, 2.62" axle tube - used 90-01
Chrysler 8.25 - 27 spline, 1.17" diameter shafts, 8.25" ring gear, 3" axle tube - used 91-96
Chrysler 8.25 - 29 spline, 1.21" diameter shafts, 8.25" ring gear, 3" axle tube - used 97-01
Dana 44 non c-clip - 30 spline, 1.31" diameter shafts, 8.5" ring gear, 2.75" axle tube - used 87-89 on some(not all) XJs equipped with towing package.

The presence of a "pop-in" rubber plug isn't a reliable indicator, either. Whichever axle you have, if you have the pop-in plug, I'd suggest either getting plugs by the handful (keep some around - they harden and crack after a while,) or get an earlier cover (both axles have been around for a bit) that takes a standard threaded pipe plug, and get a brass plug to put in. Should be 3/8" NPT, and you can get them at the hardware store for a couple of bucks.

Careful grabbing a Renix non-clip D35 cover though. The fill plug is lower on the cover as the non-clip version which had an inner seal and greased wheel bearings. The c-clip version doesn't have an inner axle shaft seal and uses the gear oil for lube. Using the cover with the lower fill hole could oil starve the wheel bearings.

Not true. ABS was optional, so the Cherokee D35 was available with and without ABS.

The Dana 35 used after 1993 or so had roughly even odds of being ABS or no - no fixed rule.

If you have ABS, you have the D35. If you do not have ABS, you've got a fifry-fifty shot at which axle - look at the cover to differentiate.

Thanks for the clarification guys. Learned something new today. I didn't realize that Jeep bothered to make two different versions of the Dana 35 once they started using it as an ABS equipped axle.

I've heard "if you have ABS, you have the D35" so many times now that I just assumed the opposite must be true. So was the 8.25 an option on non-ABS equipped XJ's, or was it just luck of the draw whether they felt like building your rig with one or the other?

That sucks you could actually get stuck with a late model D35 and not even get ABS out of the deal...(n)

It wasn't so much that they made two versions - the D35 backing plates I believe come predrilled and set up for the ABS sensors, so they just had to bolt the sensors in and make sure they used axles with tone rings when assembling any XJ ordered with ABS. Also, didn't the D35 get sent to Chrysler in pieces ("custom" thus D35c) and was assembled by them?

On a related note, did any MJs come with anything except the D35? I don't think they really made a SUA-perched version of the 8.25, and I've only seen stock MJs with D35s, but I might be wrong in this assumption.

EDIT: wow I already posted in this thread. I have the memory of a goldfish it seems.

Last edited:
Careful grabbing a Renix non-clip D35 cover though. The fill plug is lower on the cover as the non-clip version which had an inner seal and greased wheel bearings. The c-clip version doesn't have an inner axle shaft seal and uses the gear oil for lube. Using the cover with the lower fill hole could oil starve the wheel bearings.

Really? I've only had a couple of bolt-ins apart, but they both lacked inner seals, and I didn't have any trouble with the bearings.

And, interestingly, I've seen the rubber pop-in plug show up on pre-1991 covers as well - some late 1989 and probably about half of 1990s have had them.

Plan B would be to grind the inside flush and weld a pipe thread bung to the inside of the cover, and use that instead. Either way, I have never liked the idea of a rubber plug in that environment (besides, the sulphur may help to vulcanise the rubber during manfuacture, but it's mildly antagonistic after it's all done. There's plenty of sulphur in regular GL-5 gear lube...)

..... did any MJs come with anything except the D35? I don't think they really made a SUA-perched version of the 8.25, and I've only seen stock MJs with D35s...

MJ's came with the AMC 20, the D35 and the D44. I think that the AMC 20 and the D44 were on MJ's that had the tow package or increased cargo capacity Metric Ton package. Maybe one of the MJ geeks can explain when and why you got one or the other in your MJ.

On a related note, did any MJs come with anything except the D35? I don't think they really made a SUA-perched version of the 8.25, and I've only seen stock MJs with D35s, but I might be wrong in this assumption.

I have an MJ D44 sitting in my driveway right now... According to what I've gathered on Comanche Club, it came as part of the Metric Tonne package (optional on the long bed MJ's) and was also available on some short beds. Mine is the shortbed version (shocks mounted behind the axle) and will be looking for a new home once my trailer axle shows up. I'd keep it, but I already have an XJ D44 under my XJ and I only have 1/2 an MJ. Here's some visual proof of the MJ D44's existence...

100_8003.jpg

I did a little more research on Comanche Club and it looks like the AMC 20 was part of the Metric Tonne package, but only in 1986. From 1987 through 1992 the Metric Tonne package included the D44.

I did a little more research on Comanche Club and it looks like the AMC 20 was part of the Metric Tonne package, but only in 1986. From 1987 through 1992 the Metric Tonne package included the D44.

Well, I guess that kinda goes with "the hardest engine to swap into a Jeep is a Jeep engine." Or "AMC = All Makes Compatible."

fnord.

Back