• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Odd problem after motor swap

MissouriXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, took the motor out of my 93 Cherokee and put it in my 94 Cherokee. The 94 has 286K on it, but body was perfect hence the swap.

The 94 ran great before the swap, just used oil badly. The 93 ran perfect just body rust.
Now the problem, put the motor in and now when I put it in reverse it feels like it is sputtering or kinda jumping. Does fine on take off forward. While driving down the road, if I hit a bump with the rear wheels the tanny seems to jump or skip a beat and the speedometer goes crazy bouncing around. Worked perfect before the swap.
Its really hard to discribe, but just not right. Everything under it seems to be tight, any idea's on where to look. Oh and I am getting major motor noise through my stereo now and I didnt have that before either.

Oh and added info, I did change the NSS at the same time, I took it off the 93 tranny cause the one in the 94 wasnt letting it start, could it be set wrong and causing the issue?

Last edited:
noise through stereo is a bad ground. A bad/loose ground could also cause havoc when you hit a bump. . .

Does anyone know just how many grounds are on the motors to these? I only know of the battery and the one wire at the back of the block to firewall.

ground from batt to pass fender(6"), from batt to coil mount(front pass side: 3'), sensor grounds at oil dipstick mount(rear pass side), and the firewall to head ground strap(rear driver's side: 1'). wire brush, wipe clean, tighten good. Maybe do an ohm check on the batt->coil mount wire to make sure there's good continuity. I've seen corroded ones that have some resistance: 1ohm+.

Last edited:
I think that may be it or at least hope, I didnt see a ground for the sensor at the dip stick tube. I missed that one, will try hooking it up and see if that helps.

Ok, found the bad ground that fixed the engine noise sound and the erratic speedo.

But I still have my vibration seems to come about 1000 rpm, worse in reverse then drive. I checked the drive shafts and the rear end. How exactly do I check the tranny mount? Also, when they raised it up to do the motor swap, the put the floor jack under the cross member, could they have bent it up ward some and through things out of wack? It doesnt look bent, but how could I tell? I just know this problem was not there before the swap only after. Thanks guys

Back