• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

O.B.A From existing air

xjkenny

NAXJA Forum User
Has anyone used there existing air conditioning for on board air? I have a 2001 4.0l. I've heard you can do this but I cant find any tech support on this. Do you need to go with an older york compessor or can I just use what I have on my existing xj?

I guesse I was puting in the wrong search words. I have been talking to other NAXJA members and none of us could find it. Thanks for helping me out. Plenty of info there.

xjkenny said:
I called an a/c place and they will empty my unit for $15.00.
Or just cut the line and be done with it. :) Be ready for oil to squirt out. It's some weird green antifreeze oil looking stuff. Not that I did it or anything.

Last edited:
xjkenny said:
I called an a/c place and they will empty my unit for $15.00. Then its time to piece this thing together.:repair:

I called a place that fills A/C's and they took mine out for free. Depending on what kind you have in your system, people pay to have it put in, so if a shop can get it for free they are making more money.

ask around before you pay someone to take it out.

When I did my conversion, I bought one of those portable air tanks from Sears on sale for $29.00, came with a gauge and relief valve(135psi). Saved some money doing in that way instead of piecing it out.

onetallmj said:
When I did my conversion, I bought one of those portable air tanks from Sears on sale for $29.00, came with a gauge and relief valve(135psi). Saved some money doing in that way instead of piecing it out.

DOT approved?

I thought not.

Rev

just a question
but why would it have to be DOT approved?
I understand they regulate whats safe for a vehicle or not, but this is not integral to the vehicle, other than being properly attached to the vehicle why would it have to be approved

Beats me....but it is a compressed air container, and therefore "should" be DOT approved. Of course.....I do not think anyone cares....unless.....

Rev

Back