• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Liberty 242 into XJ?

Dest

NAXJA Forum User
Will an 06 Liberty 242 swap into an XJ? Not sure if its from an auto or manual, waiting on a reply. Thanks.

Do they even make manuals anymore(besides the TJs or whatever the wranglers are called these days)?

I looked on kbb and there was an option for a manual, but is it out of an automatic. So anyone know if theres any differences in the 242s that came in Libertys vs XJs?

I could be wrong, but I thought the birth of the Liberty was the death of the 242. Didn't they only come with the Diamler 3.7 liter V-6? I didn't do extensive research but that's what my memory is telling me.

I could be wrong, but I thought the birth of the Liberty was the death of the 242. Didn't they only come with the Diamler 3.7 liter V-6? I didn't do extensive research but that's what my memory is telling me.

Depends on which "242" you are talking about, the 4.0l, 242ci engine was disco'd after 2006 in the Wrangler and had been replaced with the both the 3.7l OHC truck V-6 and the 3.8l OHV minivan V-6 motors in Jeep applications. Looks like the OP was talking about the NV/NP242 full time 4wd transfercase commonly know as the Selec-Trac in Jeep vehicles and had beefed up versions that were used in the Durango and Humvee.

Depends on which "242" you are talking about, the 4.0l, 242ci engine was disco'd after 2006 in the Wrangler and had been replaced with the both the 3.7l OHC truck V-6 and the 3.8l OHV minivan V-6 motors in Jeep applications. Looks like the OP was talking about the NV/NP242 full time 4wd transfercase commonly know as the Selec-Trac in Jeep vehicles and had beefed up versions that were used in the Durango and Humvee.

Yes I am talking about the tcase. I know there are slight differences in the Jeep version vs the Durango vs the Humvee, just need to know what could be different between the 242 found in an XJ and the 242 found in a Liberty.

From what I have seen I think clocking and linkage would be the problems with the NV242 from the liberty. but I don't know anyone that has tried.

clocking?

sorry,
The way that the X-fer case mounts to the trans. Because the front drive shaft sits off to the side it matters how it is aligned with the transmission.
if you look at the picture below (not a jeep) the clocking determins how high the protruding portion of the case goes up or down.
If its clocked too high it will hit the floor boards.
If its clocked too low it will drag on the ground and/or hit your cross member.
DSCF1179a.jpg

clocking refers to how it is rotated when it is installed. for example, the cherokee and wrangler transfer cases have identical mounting hole patterns, but the hole positions are clocked a little different (rotated) because of clearance and driveshaft issues

clocking refers to how it is rotated when it is installed. for example, the cherokee and wrangler transfer cases have identical mounting hole patterns, but the hole positions are clocked a little different (rotated) because of clearance and driveshaft issues

yeah, what he said.

Anyone have a liberty with a 242 that can take a pic of it underneath the rig? Anyone know the spline output of the auto offered on Libertys in 06? I think it should be the 42RLE tranny.

Call Advance Adapters, if anyone knows they will.

Back