• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Problem... Help please

Frankenstien

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 1997 xj 4.0 automatic, recently its been hard to start, I have had to put the pedal to the floor while turning it over... And the fuel gauge reads empty after I filled it up. Now When I hold it to the floor and attempt to fire it up its starts barly, turning over and shaking terribly only for a second or 2. When I check the fuel pressure test port fuel squirts out... Does anyone have any ideas?? Any insite will be appreciated

Pedal to the floor while cranking puts the engine in flood clear mode.

Last tune up?
I just replaced the plugs, cleaned the manifold out replaced gasket, and inspected the injectors and orings. The cap rotor and wires have been replaced within the last year..

ballast resistor? short in pump assembly?
Ballast resistor??

Pedal to the floor while cranking puts the engine in flood clear mode.
I has started that way before... The past few days and once its running its fine, just not anymore..

Thanks for the input guys

Yeah, I think the ballast resistor went away after something like 92 or 93. I know it's gone by 96 for sure, and I know it exists on a 91 (but can be removed and replaced with a butt splice crimp, all it does is quiet the pump down after the engine starts)

92 has the ballast resistor, 94 does not. Don't know about 93.

You may be getting a squirt out of the test port, I'd still put a pressure gauge on it.

'97 wouldn't have a ballast resistor. (IIRC)

Yeah, I think the ballast resistor went away after something like 92 or 93. I know it's gone by 96 for sure, and I know it exists on a 91 (but can be removed and replaced with a butt splice crimp, all it does is quiet the pump down after the engine starts)
Thanks for clearing that up.

92 has the ballast resistor, 94 does not. Don't know about 93.

You may be getting a squirt out of the test port, I'd still put a pressure gauge on it.
It squirts out pretty good but I will give that a shot whn I get a chance.

It definatly souds like a fuel problem though right? Even if the pump or filter was bad why would the guage read empty thats what I dont get??

Check your wiring harness at the tank. If you damaged both the sender wires and pump wires, you would get no fuel level signal and no power to the pump.

Maybe something has been riding and chafing back there and it finally cut all the way through or got caught in constant ground mode.

Check your wiring harness at the tank. If you damaged both the sender wires and pump wires, you would get no fuel level signal and no power to the pump.

Maybe something has been riding and chafing back there and it finally cut all the way through or got caught in constant ground mode.
That sounds likely considering this wasnt all of a sudden. It started small and got to were it is now. I'm going to drop the tank today thanks for the help

try replaceing the coolant temp sensor. $16. mine did the same thing. pedal on floor to start. rough idle. got worse and worse. even wanted to die unless i feathered the go pedal teken off. dont know how but its fixed now. found it on here to do so. replaced CTS unhooked battery for a few and away i go.

try replaceing the coolant temp sensor. $16. mine did the same thing. pedal on floor to start. rough idle. got worse and worse. even wanted to die unless i feathered the go pedal teken off. dont know how but its fixed now. found it on here to do so. replaced CTS unhooked battery for a few and away i go.
Holy hell my coolant temp sensor is cracked and the guage has been trippin out recently! If this cures my problem you are the freakin man!

also try cycling the key on and off a few times to "prime" the fuel pump. the check valve was going in my 98 and if I turned the key on off on off on off start it would work like a charm otherwise looooooong starts for me. Just something else to look at

X2 - Without good temp sensing, computer doesn't know to richen the mixture. Like no choke on a carburetor.

Back