• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear wiper arm refusing eviction

hawk_sixsix

NAXJA Forum User
Trying to get the rear wiper arm off my 97 XJ. Used a whole lotta PB to get the (13mm?) nut off. Seems like the wiper arm is damn near welded to the motor shaft. Can I just put a small 2-jaw puller on this thing and crank it off or am I missing something?

usually you just pull the arm toward you, and it will wiggle off the shaft, on some there is a tab that will lock it in the open position, others a little hole you can wedge a small screwdriver in. never seen one with a nut..,.

Bruteforce one at the junkyard that looks really worn/worthless anyways, inspect it till you figure out how you're supposed to take it off. Usually it's some stupid little hidden retainer clip or something that you're going to mangle if you force it.

Bruteforce one at the junkyard that looks really worn/worthless anyways, inspect it till you figure out how you're supposed to take it off. Usually it's some stupid little hidden retainer clip or something that you're going to mangle if you force it.

And that's honestly a good idea --- but I was hoping someone on this forum would know already. If not, I'll be the first one to post it. :lecture:

Last chance before I either go to the junkyard or get impatient and start cranking on a puller . . . going once . . . going twice . . . .

Put the 3-jaw puller on it and cranked the damn thing off today.

97 XJ rear wiper arm doesn't attach with any retainer clips -- it's pressed onto a splined tapered shaft -- and WOW was it corroded! And yet, it popped off easily enough with the puller. I do not recommend wobbling. Motor shaft was great after some dental pick work on the splines and threads.

New OEM wiper arm simply gets placed over the tapered shaft and cranked down by the nut; the splines cut into the pivot hole in the arm. Make sure it's lined up correctly first - leave the windshield dirty and put the wiper on the arm before putting the arm on the shaft.

Another project completed. :smoker:

Back