• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How much to rebuild a 4.0?

Stroketech

NAXJA Forum User
Hi everyone. Can you give me a ballpark on how much it cost those of you who have rebuilt a 4.0? It would be a '00 in my case. I'm talking from the rebuild kit, machining, and other misc stuff. Also if you used any special parts such as diff pistons etc. Also what brand kits and parts did you use. Thanks.

ok, here we go. This is one of those times when you need to set a budget BEFORE you begin. Ive done complete rebuilds for $800 and rebuilds where $3500 didnt even get close! What is your goal, dd or rock crawling? See what i mean?

Looks like you can get a rebuild kit for $550:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/99-0...r_Truck_Parts_Accessories?hash=item56365119d8
If you're getting the head worked on figure $250-300 for cleaning, machining&valve job
If you're getting the block worked on figure $300-500 for cleaning, machining, bore and hone.
Do you want machinist to line bore block? Press rods on pistons? Install cam bearings? Balance the rotating assembly? Check the crank?
Do you want machinist to build block for you?
Oil&filter, spark plugs, coolant, motor mounts, cap, rotor, wires, etc
$1400-2000 to do it right.

I would rebuild it to drive down the street. I've built a ton of motors, just never a jeep. If its gonna cost me anywhere near $1500 i'll get a brand new mopar through work and put a motor in with warrenty.

If you're going to drop a couple grand on a good full rebuild why not build it up to a stroker and get something in return from the rebuild.

If you're going to drop a couple grand on a good full rebuild why not build it up to a stroker and get something in return from the rebuild.

I agree.

I have seen a stroker been done VERY well with ~ 2K. I believe that the Cheap Cherokee build on Spike TV built their stroker with that much.

I mean, its your call, if you wanna buy a fresh engine and dont NEED to stroke it, its not a bad idea. But we all WANT the stroker :firedevil

Back