• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Lock front or rear for go-fast

GoSlowGetStuck

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
Ok - I always assumed for the go-fast stuff you'd want to keep the front open or limited slip at most, so that you can power through the turns and not worry about it pushing you. But I've heard from a few people lately about spooling the front and leaving the rear open, and that that makes it turn easier? Doesn't make any sense to me since then the front is forcing both wheels to turn at the same speed and you get the dreaded understeer. What is the real story with this? Is locked front and open rear a better approach than open front and locked rear?

I know selectables can help with this quite a bit, but if I'm coming up on something where I'll want the lockers it'd be nice to not have to slow to a crawl to get them engaged. I do not want to run a conventional air, cable, or electric locker, but I am considering the ECTEDs since they are limited slip and can engage "fully locked" mode at high speeds.

And no I'm not just going to make it 2wd and lock the rear :D

the locked front/open rear thing is true in high traction slow environments, like rock crawling.

on go fast, think of it more like running in the snow.

Great, thanks for confirming what made sense to me.

Are the LSDs a good option for this stuff, or is the advantage over an open diff not great enough to justify the cost?

The True-Trac is supposed to be a good LSD.

Yea I've been doing some research, I've heard good things about the True-Trac. I'm really intrigued by the ECTED since "locking" it basically just binds the clutch pack up, but the advantage is locking at faster than 2-3mph.

My next project will probably end up with an 8.8 in the rear, how is the factory LSD in those? I'm looking to build something for the TREC course at the Badlands, I have gone through it fine open/open, so any locking diffs I have will just be for the occasional trail runs I do. Rock crawling is pretty much off my radar at this point.

What kinds of setups are you guys running in your rigs?

I run a lunchbox locker in the rear and lets just say in the dirt and rain you can't beat it for donuts and drifting. Pretty fun to lay an xj flat out in a rainy parking lot.

I had an Aussie in the rear of my last ZJ and it worked awesome. Never got it stuck in mud or sand.

High centered in snow but that was my fault.

Kinda annoying having people ask you if something was broke when you turn because of the ratcheting, but besides that it was awesome.

I have have not heard,wondering myself.

I have a factory LSD 8.8, it sucks. You really don't notice the LSD.

Ford Racing makes a rebuild kit for it with carbon discs that makes it much tighter and work better, someone here is running it.

I had an Aussie in the rear of my last ZJ and it worked awesome. Never got it stuck in mud or sand.

Kinda annoying having people ask you if something was broke when you turn because of the ratcheting, but besides that it was awesome.

Funny isnt it! Had my jeep in for an alignment yesterday, The guy tells me "your u-joints are pretty noisey!, You should look into getti9ng them replaced soon!"

I still haven't gotten used to the noise my aussie makes when I turn.

When people ride in the Jeep and I turn into a parking space they think the front end is coming apart.

lol, my parents never beleived that it was supposed to make that noise, lol.

Even to this day my parents make comments on how it never sounded right.

I tried explaining it to them, but they just don't get it.

I have a factory LSD 8.8, it sucks. You really don't notice the LSD.

Ford Racing makes a rebuild kit for it with carbon discs that makes it much tighter and work better, someone here is running it.

Thats funny. I have LSD in my bronco and when I bought it backing slowly in my driveway turning tight left you could feel the back end kind of binding up and when going forward if I punched it, it would bark A tire a little bit then lurch as if it "locked" and grab traction. I think it needs rebuilt now. I will probably get that carbon kit.

Thats funny. I have LSD in my bronco and when I bought it backing slowly in my driveway turning tight left you could feel the back end kind of binding up and when going forward if I punched it, it would bark A tire a little bit then lurch as if it "locked" and grab traction. I think it needs rebuilt now. I will probably get that carbon kit.

I had a Mustang with an LSD 8.8 as well and never really noticed it like I do the locker.

LSD will never be a locker or feel like one. I was just comparing how good the factory lsd can be.

Yeah I know, but it never seems to be doing a thing. Thats been the case for all factory LSD'ed vehicles I've had... 2 Fords and 1 Chevy.

My S10 had a limited slip and constantly seemed to do the 1 wheel peel

Back