• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

98 XJ motor into a 00 WJ? Issues

deisenba

NAXJA Forum User
So I have a good running 4.0L motor from a 98 XJ. I have an opportunity to purchase a 2000 WJ with the 4.0L that overheated and needs a new motor. I assume the 2000 is going to be distributorless (I am looking at it this weekend). what needs to be done to accomplish this feat? Can it be accomplished electronically or is there a big difference in the vehicles computers?

The 2000 has a sawed-off distributor base with a camshaft position sensor on top that will bolt in. I'm not sure if the 98 head has holes for the coil rail bracket, might have to fab something up there. Everything else should be the same.

JJacobs - so you don't think there should be any electrical issues? Just a couple mechanical items to overcome?

waylander - want to add any insight or reasoning? Does the computer just run the engine, or does it also run the rest of the vehicle? My thought is that if it also runs the rest of the Jeep, there will be problems as the two Jeeps are different. XJ vs WJ.

I think he's saying to use the WJ computer with the XJ engine, not sure though.

Don't try to use the wire harness off the donor motor. Put the two side by side and switch sensors, harnesses, injectors; anything that is different so the only changed part going back in the WJ is the long block itself.

All of the accfessories on the WJ motor are quite different so I would do like J jacobs suggests, use the XJ guts and put all of the sensors ect. on it. I don't have any direct experience with this, but my dad drives a 2000 WJ so I am familiar with those motors.

I was hoping that it would be as simple as swapping the accessories, etc from the WJ motor onto the XJ motor. I would think most everything would bolt right up, but the distributorless ignition is the biggest unknown for me. I have not ever looked at one, but it sounds like aside from the coil mounting and camshaft position sensor it shouldn't be too bad. Thanks for the help. If I do purchase the WJ and do the swap, I'll post what I do find during the swap so the info is here for others in the future. There is a lot of info for putting newer motors into older rigs, but not much on older motors into new rigs (that I could find anyways).

Back