• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Spline bolts broken

OneBadXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I have at least one spline on every wheel where the lug nut goes is broken..On the front do i have to remove the hub assembly to replace these?.Don't need my wheels falling off.Thank's

:twak: Your post makes no sense... Are you referring to the studs that the lug nuts attach to?

Can it be done with the hubs on,YES!Do I recommend trying it that way,NO,not unless you have the right tools!

are you guys posting drunk or something? :helpme:

I have removed/installed the studs quite a few times over the years with the axle still in. I originally thought it would put too much stress on the hub assembly, but I have searched and found that many do it this way. (not saying its the safest/best way, but beats the hell out of removing the whole assembly.) Spray it with PB Blaster. A swift hard blow of a hammer should knock it straight out with one or two strikes. (use a punch and hammer if the stud is too short due to breakage.) You may have to rotate the hub assembly where there is an open area behind the flange so you can pull the stud out...I cannot recall.

Put the new one in with a little lubricant on the spines. Put it in the flange...then put a washer with a greater than 1/2" hole over the stud...then a 3/4" or larger open ended nut...then another washer...then a 1/2" open ended nut with the same thread pitch as the stud. Use an impact and they will pull through with no problems. I live in Colorado so not as much rust as other areas. Mine have been simple. Pound away at your hub at your own risk!

Back