• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Wiring up the stock fog light switch?

bmyohn

NAXJA Forum User
I just picked up a stock 3 switch setup from a pristine XJ at the local JY (thank you C4C!). My question is how do you wire up this stock switch? I already have a switch in place on my normal two switch setup. How do i take my switch i put in and take those wires from my KC lights so i can use the factory switch? I kept the connector off the back of the three switch setup so i can splice in my KC wiring.

My question is what colors are ground, power, etc?

Thanks
-Brendan

Brendan,

I'll be home late tonight but have an 89 manual, colors may be similiar. i already packed my 00 manual for my move. I can look it up then if no one provides and answer int he next 4-5 hours.

Tom

Looking at the 89 manual it is pretty simple. The dash switch is a simple single pole single throw switch.

Three wires.
16g Light Green is source (+) that recieves vdc from the headlamp dimmer switch when the switch is set for high beams.

18g Light Green is switch output (+) to energize the fog lamp relay coil. This only has voltage when fog lamp switch turned to "on"

29g Black is ground. It's sole purpose is to complete the cicuit for the "on" indicator internal lamp.

This is from my 89 manual. Unfortunately I packed my 00 manual and I have no idea where in that pile of boxes over there in the corner.

I imagine if you're talking about a 3 switch panel, you're referring to a 97+? If so, pin outs are as follows (from the '99 FSM):

1. Orange - Fused panel lamps dimmer switch signal (hook this up if you want the backlighting to work)
2. Light Blue - Fog lamp switch output (12V out to your KC relay)
3. Violet - Fog lamp relay output (12V in from source of your choice)
4. Black - Ground

A little confusing since the factory fog lamp relay is actually before the switch. It enables/disables your fog lamp switch based upon the status of your headlights and high beams. The fog lamps themselves are actually powered directly through the switch.:twak:

Be sure to make proper use of a relay as the factory fog light switch will fry pretty quickly if you try to run the power for your KC's through it. This is a very common problem with the factory fog lamp switch and I wouldn't be surprised if yours (being from a junkyard) is already toast.

Wouldn't you know it, after a six hour wait we both answered at the same time. Well, at least now he has both pre and post '97 info...

X2 on the "be careful running the lights, use a relay" - mine makes the entire panel warm to the touch when I leave my 100W fogs on for a while. I'm planning on building a full relay harness for my headlights+fogs though, so I haven't bothered doing anything about it yet.

i think i can use my relay that i have already installed from my previous Hella's i had in there. it should just be a matter of running the power to the switch i believe

I attempted to wire up the switch today. I have the ground wire working as well as the back lighting working. I cant get the KC's to turn on with or without the headlights on. I have the blue wire hooked up to my relay and i have the violet hooked up to the battery. I cant seem to figure out how get the lights to turn on. I did notice though that even with the key off the light on the switch will turn on when the switch is activated.

What am i doing wrong?

WiringDiagram.jpg

Wires crossed on the relay? Good power and ground to it?

Last edited:
Back