• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Clunking when releasing the brakes...fixed

Chrisc321

NAXJA Forum User
Hi all. I had a moderate to severe clunking/disconnecting feeling after i came to a stop, when releasing the brakes. I pulled the rear drive-shaft, and applied some copper type anti-seize to the slip yoke splines and it is as smooth as silk. Hope this may help someone with an irritating clunk... Good night!

Hmmm, is THAT what that is? Mine's been doing it for a while. I always assumed it was something to do with the brakes. I've got a 231, Which does a 3" have more an effect on?
So ya just slid the slip yoke out a bit and lubed it up then?

From what I remember reading you're not supposed to re-use the old drive shaft bolts/straps though. New from jeep they are really cheap at least.

new from spicer a strap/bolt kit is like $5..

but, whats that have to do with the price of tea in china? your not supposed to re-use them if you Break a U-Joint (atleast.. thats MY understanding)

So why anti-seize instead of grease on a part that is designed to move in/out a bit?

I'm also surprised ATF doesn't make it up to there (on a 90, like his signature says...) - wouldn't that antiseize in fact contaminate the ATF?

On a 96 or later, with the separate slip yoke and strapped-on rubber boot, I can totally understand this, though I would probably use heavy grease rather than antiseize.

new from spicer a strap/bolt kit is like $5..

but, whats that have to do with the price of tea in china? your not supposed to re-use them if you Break a U-Joint (atleast.. thats MY understanding)

I thought the bolts are one time use(torque to yield) so any time you take them off you need to replace them. Nothing to do with breaking a u-joint or not.

I could be wrong but I thought for sure I read that.

bolts are one time use for a reason I don't know - they should not be torqued high enough to come anywhere near yield strength of a steel bolt, so it's not that (the torque spec is somewhere in the low inch-pounds range iirc.) The pressed straps are one time use, they flex around the cap and shouldn't be reused for that reason I think. The cast/forged straps CAN be reused.

I've only run into a few people who knew this already - I read it on some manufacturer's site, forget where. My impression is that almost everyone reuses the bolts/straps even though you are not supposed to, and it doesn't seem to have really caused problems for anyone - obviously don't reuse them if you blew out a U-joint.

Nope, no transmission fluid up there, well, not on mine at least. Yes the t-case fluid level is ok. I opted for antiseize due to to pressures involved with the application. Plus, the antiseize stays put, even when it gets really hot. It wont melt and drip like the cheap grease I had on hand. Also, a little antiseize goes a long way! Will the output shaft ever see that kind of heat? Who knows. Probably not. Would it really hurt if a trace amount of it got into the fluid of the t-case? There is no valve body. I can tell you one thing though, it works like a fu**ing champ! As far as re-using the U-joint attachment straps and bolts, if you replaced everything that was designed as "one time use", you wouldn't ever have $ for the stuff that actually broke. Some things I can understand being 1 time use (head bolts, oil filters, etc...), but lets not pick the fly sh*t outta the pepper.

Last edited:
Nope, no transmission fluid up there, well, not on mine at least. Yes the t-case fluid level is ok. I opted for antiseize due to to pressures involved with the application. Plus, the antiseize stays put, even when it gets really hot. It wont melt and drip like the cheap grease I had on hand. Also, a little antiseize goes a long way! Will the output shaft ever see that kind of heat? Who knows. Probably not. Would it really hurt if a trace amount of it got into the fluid of the t-case? There is no valve body. I can tell you one thing though, it works like a fu**ing champ! As far as re-using the U-joint attachment straps and bolts, if you replaced everything that was designed as "one time use", you wouldn't ever have $ for the stuff that actually broke. Some things I can understand being 1 time use (head bolts, oil filters, etc...), but lets not pick the fly sh*t outta the pepper.
ok, makes sense - and roger the one time use stuff :roll: I think I have like five different XJ's "one time use" parts on mine. Such as those darn clip nuts and one-way/push nuts...

Some things I can understand being 1 time use (head bolts, oil filters, etc...), but lets not pick the fly sh*t outta the pepper.

Hot damn! your not supposed to re-use oil filters?!?!? I thought they were rinse and re-use!

:laugh:

Back