• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

broke a bolt!

MNxj98

NAXJA Forum User
Changing the belt on my 98 xj 4.0 (simple enough) and the belt tensioner bolt broke. Just wondering if anyone else has ever had this problem on theirs and if they have any advice. Going to the hardware store to get a nut and bolt. Hopefully i can drill the old one out and just put the nut on the otherside of the adjuster (other side of the threads) and if that dont work i gotta figure something else out. any other ideas????

If you have a junkyard close that would be the ticket.

Otherwise take the bolt pieces and see if you can find some all-thread that will work, and weld a nut on it. I'm guessing it's metric thread and if your hardware stores are like mine they won't have it.

thanks guys. I was hoping for a quick fix tonight. All the good hardware stores are closed and my buddy is headin to the boneyard tomorrow morning so thats my plan. If i cant get anything there the all thread is plan B.

the bolt is oem part #6503198 and the collar it threads through is part #53010149

i may be easier to just buy them new from the dealer, the bolt is like $8 i believe

probably easier to visit the boneyard!! just repaired mine as it was pretty frozen. cleaned up and painted-good as new.
x3. Cost me ten bucks for the pulley, bracket, tensioner bolt, and knuckle at my local JY. Load that sucker up with antiseize before you put it in - don't want to go through the same thing again!

Back