• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Axle bearing noise while rotating by hand normal?

deskjockey

NAXJA Forum User
I hope this question doesn't come off as being too stupid: I replaced the rear brakes a couple days ago and while I had the drums off I rotated the axle by hand (it's 8.25 rear end). The outer bearings are roller bearings and I could almost feel each roller as I turned the axle by hand. Is this normal? If I spun it as fast as I could by hand it made a solid whirring noise like a cog on a bicycle. I thought that each axle should turn smoothly without any noticable noise or feel to the bearings.

Does not sound normal to me, I would replace them, relaticly easy to do.

Someone correct me if i'm wrong, but i think the sound and resistance your feeling is the spider gears in the carrier turning?

Nope, I'm positive the noise is coming from the outer bearings. If I put my ear right next to the axle flange it's obvious the sound/feel is coming from the outer bearings.

Bearings are pressed into the tubes. I have my buddies slide hammer with some fancy bearing puller tabs. This axle has 170k miles on it, so they're probably due for a change. I plan on pulling the axles out this weekend to take a look. I'm hoping the axles themselves are not pitted or brindled. The last thing I want to do is drop coin on new axle shafts!

See...i didnt know that. Makes sense to just have new ones if you tear it down then, espescially with that mileage.

I bought a rear 44 already geared a few years ago when i built a new rig, i'v been wanting to pull my shafts and have new seals/bearings pressed on. Just for piece of mind if i decide to jump in the Jeep and drive cross country. Everything else is new on front and rear axle.

Good Luck.

Back