• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

00-01 Ignition swap.

CherBear

NAXJA Forum User
So the 00-01 XJs have that strange distributor-less ignition. I still don't know how it works all that well. I do understand it is supposed to be more efficient, and by effect, more powerful. Unfortunately since it is sort of unorthodox it is difficult to upgrade.
But my question is that if I were to swap over a pre 00 ignition setup or an 01+ TJ setup, then put in high quality parts, would I be able to see an increase in performance?

Is this swap even possible?

I'm pretty sure you'd have to swap in an ECU designed to deal with it, and possibly some other sensors and anything else changed over to keep everything happy (there is a sensor that goes where the distributor would have iirc, as well as a few more O2 sensors and a detonation sensor?

You would need the PCM as well as wiring and the various ignition parts. If you have the cali emission package you would also have do some changes to the O2 sensors.

91+ (post renix) doesn't have knock sensors.

It would only help if you could modify the timing curve (maybe)
How so? if you can modify the timing curve on a distributor system, you can modify it on a dis less system. It is controlled by the CPS.

How so? if you can modify the timing curve on a distributor system, you can modify it on a dis less system. It is controlled by the CPS.

Well thats what I was wondering, I just don't really know too much about these dis less systems. The swap seems to be more trouble than its worth... So I will probably just work on other bolt-on mods.

I'm going to eventually change out the stock coil rail for a Ford V6 unit... just need to do a bit of wiring, find some correct length spark plug wires and fab a bracket. Accels have upgrades for those, but that may not be needed. I just hate that coil rail.

I don't really think it would help anything performance-wise to change to the Ford unit, but I think it would be a cool thing to do, mostly to be unique, and not be tied to the rail.

I really don't know myself how to "modify the curve", but realize that it would have to be a computer thing. Theoretically, I think you could physically move the CKP to an advanced position and then retard it electronically to not get preignition.

If you did this change with an "upgrade" you would end up being where the stock units are for the '00 and '01. This is a very good system from the factory. Unless you are doing major upgrades to the motor I would suggest not messing with it. Hard to beat multiple coils.

Plus the "legal" issue!

Changing the timing curve on a stock engine to improve performance.
Yes it can be done with a programmable ECU. You can also mess with the air/fuel mix.
Big bucks and small improvements on a other wise stock engine.
With a quit muffler you can keep a ear out for ping and make any adjustments needed. Also keep an eye on your plugs for heat/ping damage. High test may also help.

I don't really think it would help anything performance-wise to change to the Ford unit, but I think it would be a cool thing to do, mostly to be unique, and not be tied to the rail.
I wouldn't do it for performance, but if you wanted to you could easily put in a Ford Accell unit. And I just hate the rail to begin with. Can't individually disconnect spark plugs, pain in the ass to pull in and out, and as far as I know you can only get it from Jeep.

Plus the "legal" issue!
What legal issue?

So the 00-01 XJs have that strange distributor-less ignition. I still don't know how it works all that well. I do understand it is supposed to be more efficient, and by effect, more powerful. Unfortunately since it is sort of unorthodox it is difficult to upgrade.
But my question is that if I were to swap over a pre 00 ignition setup or an 01+ TJ setup, then put in high quality parts, would I be able to see an increase in performance?

Is this swap even possible?

if you want a performance upgrade with the distributor-less ignition system, try some ford injectors with 4 holes. I just installed these in my 01 and I can feel the power increase and easier acceleration. I would also look into intake and exhaust upgrades.

Back