• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Leaky brake help please

Atl-Atl

NAXJA Forum User
So I have a leaky brake line. When I installed my 44 this weekend I used a brand new RE stainless line from the frame to the axle. I bled the brakes last night and on the drivers side where the hard line threads into the distribution block at the end of the RE line it is leaking.

You can see here in the pic that the hard line is super short and curvy, could this have an effect on the leak?
(obviously the passenger side hard line is not hooked up in this pic.)
NewXJ10-17004.jpg

The fitting on the hard line threads just as far into the distribution block on the leaky side as it does on the not leaky side, and equally as tight! Does anyone have an idea what might cause this? Both brakes bled fine and function properly. It only takes about half a pedal pump worth of pressure to make it leak enough to start dripping! The fitting that is leaking is silver(steel?) and the fitting that is not leaking is gold(brass?) could this be a problem? Can I use plumbers tape if I can't get it to stop leaking or is that just a bandaide? Could the flare on the end of the hard line not be good enough? Could the RE line be faulty?

Brakes are an area that I dont want to take my chances with, is this a "take it to a shop" situation?

I think I will replace the hard line and try to reroute it, thanks for the suggestion. The bumpstop does not hit the axle tube anymore, the leafspring top plates have extensions built into them for that.

Definitely replace that hardline, it'll cost about five bucks I think. Might want to use a roller type tubing bender (I think home depot sells one in the plumbing aisle) to make sure it doesn't collapse along the bends, also pre-fit the line and make sure it lines up nicely before screwing the flare nuts in at all. If it doesn't fit, tweak your bends till it does.

Also you might want to use canned air or a compressor with a cleaning nozzle to make sure there is no grit on the flare surfaces and nothing in the hardline before installing it - something as simple as a grain of sand could cause enough separation to leak like this.

I did the tera-flex kit and it was no better. leaks ,wrong parts, caliper bolts that you couldn,t get a wrench on, more leaks, more leaks, preload spacer not thick enough, bad info on wheel stud size, more leaks stud heads hitting springs on parking brake. parking brake marginal at that,more leaks, I didn't know I would be doing my own r&d to make all this stuff work. Finally after some machine work, more hunting at junk yards the brakes work, and great at that !!!! But the hassel of getting there was a bit of a PITA for what I paid for the kit . Here is a helpful hint , Use mosser bearing retainers, much easier for the on and off of the axel and make sure you use sealer on the axel seal outer edge. makes life alot easier.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. Im going to pull it off, check the flare and try loosening and tightening it 3 or 4 times, well see what happens.

Back