• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Converting a 2000 cherokee to a 80's cherokee

austinaubinoe

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, I posted something similar before, but now I am a little more serious. I have decided to first buy this:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Comm...Accessories?hash=item4ceb8026e5#ht_500wt_1182

To good a deal to pass up! Now I can choose If I want a Laredo or a pioneer (Im thinking Pioneer!).
----------Please dont bid on it from this link! Thanks:)---------------------

Then I found this front clip BRAND NEW for a early Laredo: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...witem=&sspagename=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_3314wt_941

Kind of pricey, but every other early 90's chrome laredo I see is a little cracked or chipping... will just be easy.
---------bid on this if you want they have 99:)------------------------------

finally, I plan to just pick up some fenders from my local junk yard (really just a parts counter.....) for 20 bucks or so.

oh, then I got to pick up some cans of "Medium Fern Green Pearl" from the stealership.

what do you think of the project?

is the stock paint on jeeps have a clear cote? Or would you just spray it and go?

how would you attach the emblems? just double stick?

oh and here is my jeep:

BYLf4gBmkKGrHgoOKjgEjlLmYUWJBKgL-gm.jpg

:shocked:WHY????? if your serious im sure someone would trade :rof:

FYI, My mom allowed me to get any car that had airbags. I just like the look of the front clip and the chrome 3D emblems of the early XJ's.

Oh and Im way to lazy to spray and wetsand. im just going to try to blend in the new fenders with some even coats of spray-paint.

FYI, My mom allowed me to get any car that had airbags. I just like the look of the front clip and the chrome 3D emblems of the early XJ's.

Oh and Im way to lazy to spray and wetsand. im just going to try to blend in the new fenders with some even coats of spray-paint.

Blending in with auto paint is next tom impossible. If you are planning on doing it, dont count on it looking original.

Cool idea tho.

Then get a '95 or '96 XJ and some new emblems, shit. Talk about reinventing the wheel................:twak:

noticed the nj tag. where in jersey are you from?

I bought it from a guy in Egg Harbor City, but I spend the summer in Cape May. I live in Potomac, MD the rest of the year (going to college in NY though). I wheel the Pine Barrens atleast 3 times a year.

What exit are you??? hahaha

what the hell do you mean "reinventing the wheel". I love my late model cherokee, just changing the grille and the badging more a unique look. I also want to put on some THOR guards if I can ever get ahold of that dude.

Also, The 95's and 96's only had a driver airbag. My mom wouldnt let me have any passangers. Even though airbags totaled my last cherokee, they also saved my face, so there staying. Aldo those first gen. airbags are known to have there issues, especially if they are 15 years old...

Oh and reguarding they paint, I know its not going to blend, but maybe it will look better then primer or old paint. Or maybe Ill just go with flat black. but then again, I feel like moss green is light enough that it would look fine. My fenders and grille now are dented to shit.

yeah alot of people say to swap on a late model chrome front end, but the point is not to just chrome out my rig its to make it unique. I do think its awesome when you see a mint Limited on 35's etc. though....SO clean.

And Kittrell, i honestly dont get what you are saying. I got the part part where I im a mamma's boy because I got a car with airbags (hey my parents gave my 6k for a car for graduation I can follow one requirement).

But "I think you just need to live with that fact of life until mommy and daddy aren't dictating what kind of vehicle you can or cannot have". Thats deep....

And Kittrell, i honestly dont get what you are saying.

Regardless if you were being a smart ass or not. It means if you are limited in which vehicle you can have because of your parents; then accept that as a fact of life, instead of trying to drastically modify a perfectly good vehicle for a certain look. You are not at the position in your life where that should be of any concern. Want an older XJ? Take the 6k from your parents and buy a reliable car to drive every day that meets their requirements. Then save some pennies and go drop a grand an older XJ.

It's your xj make it look however you feel. Not saying I would do that swap, but different strokes for different folks. Nice looking jeep btw.

Then I think you just need to live with that fact of life until mommy and daddy aren't dictating what kind of vehicle you can or cannot have. According to your profile, you are 18, thats just sad.

its called RESPECT. hes respects his parents wishes because they are his parents and because they bought him a nice vehicle. nothing wrong with that

Back