• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Makeshift lift/revolver shackle

cmelo

NAXJA Forum User
I know a guy that swears by attaching a MJ shackle to the stock XJ shackle to improve the shackle angle. I'm wondering everyone's opinion on this or if anyone has real world experience with this setup. I know the MJ shackle on it's own will provide 1/2" of lift on it's own so I'm thinking it might be a little taller with the addition of the XJ shackle and the changed shackle angle. Main reason I ask because I have a friend on a super tight budget and I have a MJ shackle I can give him but it wouldn't be enough lift by itself. If this shackle idea works out I can get him on 31's for under $200.

bad idea.

somebody did this a while ago (against everybodys recommendations) and it turned out to be a disaster. revolvers were rated one of the worst offroad products ever produced.

atleast with revolvers they "lock" in the closed position so they are streetable. even then one of my friends have to pull them off he was getting so much body sway. he could take off at a redlight and the entire right side of his jeep would lift 3-4 inches.

with what your buddy is talking about, its putting a lot of leverage on parts not designed for that, and they dont lock, so they will be constantly opening with torque

I cant say about the MJ shackle but I know a lot of Yota guys who run this kind of set up, I had to draw it instead of trying to explaine it. Sorry for the bad drawing. I know it works pretty good.

picture.php

bastard pack= just as cheap lift. and predictable, and more awesome. im a fan

I cant say about the MJ shackle but I know a lot of Yota guys who run this kind of set up, I had to draw it instead of trying to explaine it. Sorry for the bad drawing. I know it works pretty good.

picture.php
I don't see a drawing.

bastard pack= just as cheap lift. and predictable, and more awesome. im a fan

That's what i'm thinking too. I have some old leafs laying around but they're OLD. I also have a one inch lift block. Maybe the MJ shackle, an overload spring and the lift block? Kind of mickey mouse...

I built these about 8yrs ago,I actually liked them until I lifted even higher!They are made from stock XJ shackles,the amount of lift is adj by the bumpstop.
027_24.JPG

028_25.JPG

I kind of like that idea. Looks like you just welded a piece of metal on the back to bolt a piece of that cutting board material too. I could make something like that with stuff i've got around.

RCP, do you have any problems with the shackles unloading on hill climbs or descents?

I was at 3" at the time,and the only weird thing was unloading in an off camber situation.It was like driving my sons IFS rig with no flex.The springs would open up and you kept wondering when it would stop,but really not any differnt than putting "air" under the tire.

Back