• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Check out the Corrosion on my winch!

Jeff 98XJ WI

NAXJA Forum User
Recently I noticed the cap on the motor of my 4 year old Warn XD9000 winch had a crack in it. I called Warn and they sent me a new one. However, when I opened up the motor to replace the cap I couldn't believe the mess in there! This thing was mounted on the front of my daily driven XJ through all seasons in WI, but was never submerged or anything really bad for it. Apparently salt and water got into the motor through it's mouting surfaces and ate the aluminum for lunch! It was in terrible condition. I pulled the rubber boots off the wire connection studs and one was so corroded I had to saw the nut off in pieces. This sucks! I did clean it up, used a new nut, added some silicon to the cap to motor mount and it works fine, but man, you would think I live on the ocean or something. Jeff

http://tinyurl.com/yculhf

Wow! Did you find that winch at the bottom of the ocean?:laugh3: I'll bet mine looks the same way.

Thanks for posting your picture. When I bought my Warn winch I got one of those vinal covers they make for them. When I park my junk in bad weather I always cover it. My .02

Receiver mounted winches are hard to beat for many reason. May want to look into it. If you have a costom bumper I have seen home made clamp-on winch mounts to.

Back