• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

'93 XJ running lights/dash lights not working.

BigPete

NAXJA Forum User
The dash/running lights are not working at all any more. i was able to fiddle with the switch and they'd come back on before, but now they are off for good. At first i thought it might be the switch it self that was bad, so on the way home a got a switch for it and replaced it and i also took every fuse out and checked them and they are good and it still isn't working.

Is there a hidden relay or fuse that would cause this?
What do you guys think could be wrong with it?
Has anybody else run into this and how did you end up fixing it?

The chiltons manuel is worthless and this is the first time i have had problem like this with it not being the switch being falty.

The park fuse and or the instr lps fuse can go out. The power goes through the park fuse then through the instr lps fuse.
You almost have to test the fuses with a volt meter, with the fuse in the socket (both sides of the fuse) or with an ohm meter with the fuse removed. Most times you can see if they are burnt, sometimes not.
Make sure the knob is seated all the way in, if it isn't all the way in, some of the contacts may not line up.
My drawing for the park fuse says it gets power from the number 12 fuse in the PDC in the 93.

Last edited:
i replaced all the fuses under the dash just to make sure, and it didn't fix the problem. I'm starting to think that the new switch i got is bad. the wiring looks good and the jeep electricly is unmolested. It has no after market lights or random switchs. it does have a new radio, but it was instaled with a plug adapter that allows you to instal the radio without cutting any wires.

:flamemad:I still can't figure this one out. i replaced the swithc again with another new one and it still didn't fix it.:tears: Does anybody out there have any good ideas about what i should look at that may cause this to happen? this is really sucky sense i have to drive it in the morning darkness and it is not very safe this way.

Hallo. Maybe too stupid to ask, but did you turn the knob of the light switch?
Don't ask me why.

stupid wim

You mean the dimmer part of the switch? yeah back and forth a mess of times along with pulling in and out. the running lights outside along with the dash lights still don't work. have i said how much i hate electrical issues...:puke::badpc:

are you checking anything with a meter or are you just replacing parts. do you know if you have power through the fuses?

i did find that i have power to the fuse block it self, but no i didn't check each fuse yet. I just don't understand how to use the volt meter i have very well beond just seeing 12v-14v or checking a ground. the ome reedings are nonsense to me though.

you dont need to take an ohm reading(unless its a ground issue), you need to find where you have voltage and where there is a break in voltage.

Back