• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

HID relay kit (Attack of the Electro Squid)

CherBear

NAXJA Forum User
Alright, so if you have been following me on any of my other threads about my struggles with my HIDS, you know I had ordered a relay kit hoping to solve my problems.

Anyways, got the relay kit. It makes sense for the most part, I just have no idea what i am supposed to do with one end of the wires.

Crappy drawing:

http://i829.photobucket.com/albums/zz214/JeepXJ825/Relaypic.png

The image seems to be pretty self-explanatory. Do I even need those wires? Power and ground? The switch has a built in ground right?

assuming its a regular relay....
30; fused power source
85; relay ground
86; relay switched, plug into your old headlights low beam socket (top one?)
87; ??? goes to headlight's right plug socket (ground?)

THIS is why i built my own, i gotta sit down, relax and think stuff like this through, but mine worked the first time
http://www.go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoHeadlightLoom.htm

im not tryin to tell you to build your own, but if you fallow the go-jeep and connect it in that configuration, it should be the same

Ok, I found out the problem. Since I have HIDs, I have H4 bulbs. The kit I ordered has h4 everything, which doesnt match up with the Jeep's existing wiring. So its going to a little less than "Plug and Play"

No, you use the factory headlight plugs to control the HID ballasts. All you need is a spade connector on each wire.

You don't need to upgrade anything to use HID's as they use less power.

No, you use the factory headlight plugs to control the HID ballasts. All you need is a spade connector on each wire.

You don't need to upgrade anything to use HID's as they use less power.

I already have HIDs, I was installing a relay kit to get a clean source of power to them. The passengers side flickers badly on startup.

My setup should work like this:

The factory plug controls a relay
Relay draws power straight from batter
Relay delivers power to ballasts

The problem was that the factory plug doesn't fit into the h4 connector. So I will have to solder a new connector into the headlight circuit.

Last edited:
You can also buy male H4 plugs, so it matches the Jeep's wiring. What would you rather modify, the truck or the ballast wiring?

(I also now know of spoken 'HID issues' disregard first post lol)

I have 6 HID's, they all flicker for a few seconds until they get warmed up in my experience. Is yours doing something different? How did you have them powered before? Just running straight through a switch?

~James

The way you are explaining it a few post up is just redundant. The factory plug that goes on the back of the light already is running through a relay, and should provide ample power for HID's. They draw a fraction of the amperage that a halogen does. You are essentially using a relay, to trigger a relay, to turn on the lights. Makes no sense, unless I am missing something.

Like I said, many of these aftermarket HID sets flicker for a few seconds till they warm up, I have 3 sets of them and they all do it when you first turn them on.

The factory plug that goes on the back of the light already is running through a relay, and should provide ample power for HID's. They draw a fraction of the amperage that a halogen does. You are essentially using a relay, to trigger a relay, to turn on the lights. Makes no sense, unless I am missing something.

if you use a go-jeep piggyback harness, it uses the factory wiring and switches, but to trigger a new and updated wiring harness... i built and installed it for h4's, and later upgraded to hID. its for those of us too lazy to totally re-wire their headlights all the way back to the dash.

mine can also run any bulb setup on either light, h4, (or more likely a cheap sealed beam) should i break one on a long road trip.
yes, its not the cleanest, but im not the one having flickering =)

stock harness MIGHT be enough, but are you really recommending the stock harness over an upgraded thick wired' one? =)

http://www.go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoHeadlightLoom.htm

The way you are explaining it a few post up is just redundant. The factory plug that goes on the back of the light already is running through a relay, and should provide ample power for HID's. They draw a fraction of the amperage that a halogen does. You are essentially using a relay, to trigger a relay, to turn on the lights. Makes no sense, unless I am missing something.

Like I said, many of these aftermarket HID sets flicker for a few seconds till they warm up, I have 3 sets of them and they all do it when you first turn them on.

Yes I know it seems redundant, but HIDs shouldn't have to flicker. I am hoping that just because the wiring is old and the connections are corroded causing a less than perfect connection.
In theory it should work perfectly on stock wiring, but it doesnt, so I am simply removing an unknown from the problem.

Back