• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

No Overdrive & Check Engine Light is on ?

Hylander

NAXJA Forum User
Everything was fine and then tonight my Check engine light came on and Overdrive is not working.
Any idea what to start checking ?

Year, engine, trans, stock or modded etc.
Go to your local parts store and have them check your codes for free.

Go to the nearest Auto Zone and they will pull the codes for free on any 96 or newer vehicle. Keep in mind that a code doesn't necessarily identify the bad part, but more the faulty area.

According to the table I have, both SOL1 and SOL2 de-energize for OD, so since it has working 1/2/3 (do all of them work? if one of these gears also does not work, this can help narrow things down to one or the other solenoid) I would bet against burnt/stuck solenoids. I'd definitely check the TPS though, as scott and fastdemise just noted...

I second the likely hood of the neutral safety switch being bad. I had this problem and just followed this http://www.go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoNSSrebuild.htm to fix it. One way to help diagnose this is it typically blows a fuse in your passenger side kick panel fuse area, at least it did for me. This fuse also controls things like your reverse lights so if their not working it's likely the cause.

... NSS won't cause a check engine light, so far as I know. Unless it's sending the signals for third gear instead of OD/Drive to the TCU, it won't cause the symptoms described.

If disabling the TCU (via the fuse) results in OD working (you'll have to shift "manually"), I'd definitely bet on TPS.

... NSS won't cause a check engine light, so far as I know. Unless it's sending the signals for third gear instead of OD/Drive to the TCU, it won't cause the symptoms described.

In my case is caused the check engine light because the NSS was blowing the fuse which was tripping my check engine light. I have an 01 though so perhaps its different for different years.

OK: Here is the Skinny so far.
Fluid is good and Full.
Fuses are all good

Checked the Codes:
700 Trans control Malfunction
705 Trans control Malfunction
1694 Malfunction, does not state what
1698 Malfunction, does not state what

Clear the Codes and Trans works perfect for a couple of minutes, then CEL comes back on and Trans gets 1st.& 2nd. just fine but jumps
in and out of 3rd. mostly out, and has no Overdrive.

So what Say You ?
Where do I go from here ?

If disabling the TCU (via the fuse) results in OD working (you'll have to shift "manually"), I'd definitely bet on TPS.

I disagree. My check engine light came on just the other day, stopped and got it checked out. I was given these three codes....

P1899....Park/Neutral switch stuck in Park or gear
P0700 Transmission Control System Malfunction
P0705 Transmission Range Sensor Circuit malfunction(PRNDL Input)

I had no reverse lights and it would start in any gear. I have also read that no overdrive is a symptom of a faulty NSS too.

1997 Sport

OK: Here is the Skinny so far.
Fluid is good and Full.
Fuses are all good

Checked the Codes:
700 Trans control Malfunction
705 Trans control Malfunction
1694 Malfunction, does not state what
1698 Malfunction, does not state what

Clear the Codes and Trans works perfect for a couple of minutes, then CEL comes back on and Trans gets 1st.& 2nd. just fine but jumps
in and out of 3rd. mostly out, and has no Overdrive.

So what Say You ?
Where do I go from here ?

P1694 No CCD Messages Received From ECM

P1698 No CCD Messages Received From PCM

http://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/dodge/

Back