• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

clicking sound

RabidRabit

NAXJA Forum User
I've just got my new Ford 8.8 in the back of my XJ and the new D30with the tru trac in the front. I now hear a clicking sound. Is this the locker that I'm hearing? It's a constant clicking coming from what I think is the front end. I've heard about the clicking but this being my first experience with a locker I'm not sure.

is it when you turn or go straight? does it change noise, pitch, tone?

right now what you are describing sounds like the locker, and yes, it will make noise.

Are both of the tires the same diameter and is the air pressure the same?

It's not the locker, since you don't have a locker, you have a limited slip which won't make any noise (unless you have alocker in the rear 8.8). If it's tire speed, then most likely a brake noise, but impossible to tell without hearing it. If it's driveline speed it could be a u-joint, but not likely if there was nothing wrong before.

A lunchbox locker can click in a turn, but makes no noise going straight. A Detroit won't click, but can make a loud pop every now and then.

Back