• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Torque converter or low fluids?

Bdiddy11

NAXJA Forum User
Found this posting on CL http://boise.craigslist.org/cto/1424383888.html

Possibly looking for a replacement Cherokee. Was wondering if this is a good deal and what the odds are it's the actual torque converter that is going bad or just low on fluids.

I read on Yahoo Answers that more often then not it's due to low fluids, and that torque converters are pretty stout and rarely go out.

Any thoughts?

Well, $1200 seems pretty steep for a 1991 with a bad torque converter.

Could be low fluid. Could be someone used the wrong fluid. Could be the fuse to the TCU is blown and the trans won't shift correctly. Could be a solenoid. Could be the TPS.

Go and take a look, post back more details.

What about the "needs oil seal" part in there? Are they referring to a trans seal leak or engine oil? If that's the rear main seal I hear thats a pain in the you know what to change out correctly or big $$$ to have done. I agree with Joe that $1200 sounds like a lot for its current condition.

What about this? Guys is asking $1350 or best reasonable offer. For the things wrong, what would be a fair offer?

It's a 92 Laredo with 179k on the clock.

"The 4x4 does work well, i used it a lot and both 4 high and low work. The windows are tinted.

quirks:
  • A/C needs to be charged so is not working.
  • the temp gauge has not functioned since i got the jeep, it has never overheated in the 6 or so years i have had it
  • about two years ago the oil pressure gauge started bouncing around- I got it checked out and the mechanics said it was the sending unit and not anyhting with the oil pressure. I have driven with this for 2 years and never had an issue
  • it does leak some oil from the engine- I believe from the valve cover gasket
  • the steering shakes between 50 and 55 miles per hour. this is a common thing in these jeeps- I got some front end work done on it (new tie rods, UV joint in the passenger side and general alignment) the shaking continued and the mechanic could not figure out the problem. It only shakes when driving at speeds between about 45-55 and does not happen all the time
  • tailgate windshield wiper motor does not work
All in all it has treated me really well through the years. I just upgraded to something newer but will be sad to see it go.

Perks are a good sound system, brand new exaust system, Thule roof rack and box, clean interior, power windows/doorlocks fully function, good tread left on good tires"

This would rate "Fair" in KBB, in your area about $1,275.

You could give a little more for the roof rack and the new exhaust. Depending on your skills the fixes on this one could be done fairly cheap, with the possible exception of the shaking and if the a/c isn't trashed.

I thought you might have a killer deal on the 1991--that guy is moving (if true) and that makes for a motivated seller. You could probably low-ball your way into that one.

It is an inline fuse, right near the TCU, behind the glove box on most XJs, on the very late models it is next to the steering column.

Back