• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Engine stalled twice in deep water.

1990 MJ

NAXJA Forum User
Sometimes a snorkel just isn’t enough to get you back to dry land. I still don’t understand why my motor dies in deep water. :dunno:

376243816.jpg

High water mark for the day.

376243899.jpg

Is the airbox totally sealed from the bottom as well as the sides and top? Did any sensors get wet during this? Just stay out of the deep water, it is easier.

-Alex

There is a very long list of items that need to be "waterproofed" before you can expect a vehicle to handle that type of water.

Do a search for waterproofing and make sure you deal with ALL of them.
My first instinct is distributor and sensors.

Also, change all of your fluids and clean out your starter and altinator before you regret it.

Michael

Looks like hand controls.

Looks like a bad place to drive a Jeep. Of which I am unfortunately an expert, lessons now learned and all.

Water is bad, It only took me 3 yrs to find out. You get so much stuff wet that isn't meant to be wet, worse in a cherokee, wiring front to back, carpet, underlay ( stays wet almost forever,lol) water in diffs,U joints,ball joints,tir rod ends,front unit bearings, possibly t case,trans. Underhood wiring, starter,aternator, possibility of hydrolocking the engine. It just plain sucks.

Thanks for all the feedback!

...clean out your starter and altinator before you regret it.

Michael

Never heard that one before. What would you clean, and wouldn't they just drip dry on the way back home?

Looks like hand controls.

Yep, broke my back in three places...

I have just one question. Why did you try to go through that?

Looked like it would be fun to try. Also, didn't realize how much work it would be to dry everything out... :doh:

What would you clean, and wouldn't they just drip dry on the way back home?

Yes, they will dry on the way home, and then the insides will start rusting immediately.

The ultimate solution would be to take them apart soon and clean them all up and re-lubricate them.

The next best thing is to saturate the insides of them as much as possible with a oily product that will help protect them from rusting and seezing (sp?).
WD-40 or an other similar type of product.

Worst case you leave them and find they have failed (usually in about 2 weeks from the incident) ;)

Many of us have learned the hard way, stay out of water as much as possible.

Michael
PS Nice looking MJ by the way!

Yes, they will dry on the way home, and then the insides will start rusting immediately.

The ultimate solution would be to take them apart soon and clean them all up and re-lubricate them.

The next best thing is to saturate the insides of them as much as possible with a oily product that will help protect them from rusting and seezing (sp?).
WD-40 or an other similar type of product.

Worst case you leave them and find they have failed (usually in about 2 weeks from the incident) ;)

Many of us have learned the hard way, stay out of water as much as possible.

Michael
PS Nice looking MJ by the way!

Thanks, i guess i will be going out and spraying them down now...:cheers:

Thanks, i guess i will be going out and spraying them down now...:cheers:

If they don't fail in the next few weeks you can thank me then for the invaluable advice :D
If they do fail, you can assume you should have done it sooner :D

While we are on the subject, this would be a good time to add dialectric grease to EVERY connector you can find in the engine compartment.
;)
Michael

Last edited:
You would not have happened to have gotten stuck in that pool of water while a blue XJ and red YJ were parked off to the sides?? I remember that Saturday. Went through the same thing and almost hydrolocked it when I went too far into the center where the deep part is. Luckly I had paid good attention when I redid the sound deadening in my Jeep to glue all my drain plugs. Was disappointed to see your Jeep stall. Was the only one with a snorkel and short lift and would of loved to see it tackle that mini lake

Last edited:
You would not have happened to have gotten stuck in that pool of water while a blue XJ and red YJ were parked off to the sides?? I remember that Saturday. Went through the same thing and almost hydrolocked it when I went too far into the center where the deep part is. Luckly I had paid good attention when I redid the sound deadening in my Jeep to glue all my drain plugs. Was disappointed to see your Jeep stall. Was the only one with a snorkel and short lift and would of loved to see it tackle that mini lake

It’s a small world. You were there the first time it stalled, when it started up a few seconds later. We went and hit some trails and came back and tried the deeper part and it stalled again. It took 30 minutes to get er going that time. I’m still trying to dry out the carpet, mat and bench seat… I have your group in the background of one of our video clips.

If you want, check out the video at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0-WJ2SFm3o

:cheers:

haha We were stuck there trying to get my friends wrangler started for 2 hours checking everything electrical and mechanical. Even tore down and cleaned his weber carb. Pain in the @$$. I should post the video of my failed water crossing attempt. Good laughs all around. Glad to hear you got out in one piece.

I've always wondered, why they designed the 4.0's with the alternator at the very bottom of the engine. Not only is it a pain in the backside to replace, but sits right down where it has a good chance of getting wet. I've lost an alternator and a starter to deep water.

Advice on the water proofing, buy a large can of dielectric grease and go over all the electrical connectors you can find. I have also ran a bead on the dist base and all the spark plug boots.

I`ve been in that puddle before with my 87 toyota , :dunce:Yep I had to be towed out,pulled all the plugs,then it started and ran :clap:but puffed steam for the rest of the day till it got everything dry..and that was 9 years ago.I haven`t been back in that hole

I`ve been in that puddle before with my 87 toyota , :dunce:Yep I had to be towed out,pulled all the plugs,then it started and ran :clap:but puffed steam for the rest of the day till it got everything dry..and that was 9 years ago.I haven`t been back in that hole

I’m still drying out the interior nearly a week later. :tear: I’ll never go back through the center of that hole again either.

The matting under your carpet or mats won`t dry untill it`s removed and hung to dry for a few days. Which means you will have to remove the seat to get the carpet out. On another note I did sell an older cj5 to a guy that took it into a river and then allways had electrical probs with it till it " got stolen and was never found":huh:
Good luck with your new project !!

Back