• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tent Camping and Wheeling

IslanderOffRoad

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
I'm trying to find a place to go wheeling Thanksgiving weekend. A friend of the girlfriend's just got a FSJ pickup and now a group of them want to go camping and wheeling Thanksgiving weekend.

I was going to do Pismo but its all booked in the campsite and a tent on the beach isn't ideal. I'm the only one willing to pay for a beach house rental.

So I need a site that meets the following criteria:

Temperate enough for tent camping
Ground solid enough for tent camping
Restrooms (3-5 females going)
Fires Allowed

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

One of my favorite places to go around that time of year is Sheep Canyon (in Coyote Canyon) in Anza Borrego. Nice mild rocky section on the trail, usually nice and cool at night, nice sites ideal for tenting, clean pit toilets and neat hike to springs above the canyon. Unless things have changed though, they do have a fire restriction........ground fires aren't allowed, we always used a metal wash tub to contain the ashes and haul them out. I know, weird :dunno:---------Hans

Last edited:
How is Ocotillo for tent camping?

How is Ocotillo for tent camping?
Ocotillo is crazy on Thanksgiving. That is where I got hit by a drunk driver at the top of blowsand hill, and spent the night in the hospital. Not that I wouldn't go again. Just be careful if you go out there. The weather was ok. Seems like you can camp just about anywhere out there. There are quite a few bathrooms near the camp site. I never used one, but they seemed nice.

Seems like everywhere's going to be crazy. Any place that takes reservations is full, any place that doesn't I'm worried about taking the drive to and finding nothing.

I'll be at Rasor road on Thanksgiving. There is sand, dirt and rocks. It is clost to Soda dry lake, Afton Canyon, Old mining sites and Indian petroglyphs (sp). We usually have a real good time out there.

Oh yeah and you don't need reservations and it is never crazy.

Restrooms?

Alternately, if anyone has connections for rental properties near Oceano Dunes let me know.

i'll be in glamis :D

not exactly a relaxing weekend with the girlfriend tho, more like a pit of sin and debauchery, my kind of party :cheers:

How about renting a R.V. some rental places will haul it out & back... you just show...
Lots of places in the desert from busy to never see anyone else... but no "facilities"...
I've rented M.H. before... but not from these folks...
http://www.luv2camp.com/index.html

Curt

Last edited:
The camping near refugio beach/goleta is pretty nice.
PM Jeepcherokeeboy97.. he works for the Parks Dept. maybe he can help you out as far as Pismo-ish goes.

as far as camping on the beach itself, if you find the right spot you can be close enough to the restroom.

Last edited:
How about renting a R.V. some rental places will haul it out & back... you just show...
Lots of places in the desert from busy to never see anyone else... but no "facilities"...
I've rented M.H. before... but not from these folks...
http://www.luv2camp.com/index.html

Curt

I looked at that, the pricing is a bit more than I'd spend. The beach houses in Pismo are cheaper.

i'll be in glamis :D

not exactly a relaxing weekend with the girlfriend tho, more like a pit of sin and debauchery, my kind of party :cheers:

I thought about Glamis, haven't been in years. Sucks for tenting it though.

So I got a campsite at Oceano Campground at Pismo for Saturday night. Nothing was available Friday.

Today Friday popped up as available, the state parks site won't let you change reservations online, so I had to wait for them to open and call... by the time I called someone else snagged it!

I will at the very least be at Pismo Saturday/Sat night, leaving very early Sunday morning so I can get my flight back to Texas. Anyone know how bad Sunday traffic is going from Pismo back to LA on Thanksgiving weekend?

Back