• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Drop pitman for RE 4.5" lift?

The Adam Blaster

NAXJA Forum User
I'm installing the Rubicon Express 4.5" kit on my '98 XJ right now, and when I bought it the vendor said I wouldn't need to have a drop pitman on it.
After installing the 4 front links yesterday, the sterring felt as if it was binding already, and the axle was "maybe" as low as normal ride height.

So, those of you that have installed the 4.5 lift on your rigs, did you have to buy a drop and if so, what size?

Yeah I installed the RE 4.5 on my 99 and had a hard time even getting the drag link to hook back up to the stock pitman arm.

After disconnecting everything and starting re-assembly, the angle that the drag link end was going into the pitman arm was just really wonky and I figured it would cause problems later. Since I already had it all apart I just went ahead and spent the extra coin for the drop pitman arm. I got the one that's for 4-8" lifts, I think it cost about $85 or so.

I don't really have anything to compare it to but it seemed like one less thing to worry about later.

i had a zj pitman arm on my xj at 5" lift and now at 6"

If a lift kit does not come with a new pitman it usually does not need one. Especially if you are dealing with a good company that sells thousands of kits without them. I have installed quite a few 4.5 RE kits on XJs and never installed a drop pitman. Once you have the lift together and get it aligned it should not bind up. You can loosen up the adjuster sleeve on the drag link and lengthen the DL to help get it back in you will have to do this anyways to straighten the steering wheel.

The drag link that the kit came with is adjustable, so that will definitely help.

As for the comment about the good company making 1000's of kits etc...
I feel it's a good kit -- why I bought it in the first place -- but it's still a kit that didn't have 100% of the replacement bolts that I feel it should have, and I have little faith in a company, any company, that will provide a product that is not going to have any problems. They just don't seem to be out there, especially a kit for an 11 year old vehicle that has seen plenty of harsh trail rides.
In the world we live in, I can't trust them! lol

I will finish installing all the components and get the necessary alignment and see how it goes after that. It's not a big deal to me to buy that part later, but thank-you everyone for all of your responses!

The drag link that the kit came with is adjustable, so that will definitely help.

!

never heard of a drag link coming with a lift kit? do you mean trackbar?

for the drop pitman arm, i have 4.5" on my 89 without any issues with steering. the draglink and the track bar are still parallel.

I just did a RE4.5 and the angle was really crappy. Ended up putting a 4-8 pitman arm on but it still hits over by the track bar mount on the axel kinda pisses me off that RE did not include it inthe kit! steers good now but really need steering upgrade soon to stop the binding on that left side.

I just did a RE4.5 and the angle was really crappy. Ended up putting a 4-8 pitman arm on but it still hits over by the track bar mount on the axel kinda pisses me off that RE did not include it inthe kit! steers good now but really need steering upgrade soon to stop the binding on that left side.

Can't trust them!!!!!!!!! lol
It does bother me too that they don't always include everything you'll need to complete the lift properly...

Again RE is a very good company and has spent time and money on R&D with there product, again they sell thousands of complete kits that work great without a dropped pitman. Its not that there selling a "incomplete kit" its simply that they feel and many other do as well that they do not need a dropped pitman, if you feel that you need one then it up to you.

Not trying to argue but I find it funny that someone would buy a lift kit from a company that they do not trust. I dont trust a lot of the lift kits that are sold on EBay there fore I would never buy one.

I got the RE 4.5, plus 1 inch coil spacers and didn't need a new pitman arm. The steering is fine.

I got the RE 4.5, plus 1 inch coil spacers and didn't need a new pitman arm. The steering is fine.

Same here. My Currie steering is perfect with the stock pitman arm. I think I'd rather spend the money on a better steering system or hi-steer than wasting it on a drop pitman.

Not trying to argue but I find it funny that someone would buy a lift kit from a company that they do not trust. I dont trust a lot of the lift kits that are sold on EBay there fore I would never buy one.

I'm really expressing my opinion in a tongue-in-cheek fashion for the most part.
Yes RE is a respected company and they make lots of good quality kits etc. etc...
But through the manufacturing process, vehicles come off the assembly line with slight variations -- add 11 years of abuse to one of those vehicles...
As well, lift kits are generally designed and fitted using a brand new vehicle in mind, everything is straight, the bolts aren't coated in rust etc etc.

Take those two factorss into account, and it's a tough job for a company to make a kit that will work well every time.
With that in mind, I wish that companies would include ALL required hardware, and not rely on the end user/installer to re-use old rusty bolts, some of which had to be cut off of my Jeep.
If I could mention a couple specific criticisms I have of Rubicon Express --> their instructions are somewhat lacking and the included photocopied pictures that go along with the instructions are really crappy.
Also, the welds on the bracketry... They aren't continuous through the whole joint. It's like they welded the first 3rd, then the last 3rd, with a gap in the middle. Almost seems like it would have been just as easy to continue the weld all the way along, rather than stopping in the middle and starting a little further down.
And it definitely would have been stronger.

All the components of the kit seem to be pretty stout though, and once installed, I don't foresee having any issues.

I bought a kit from RE because they do have a good reputation, so I had high expectations -- much higher than what I had for a previous Skyjacker kit of mine.
I still feel the RE kit is of good quality, but it certainly isn't perfect.

I installed the Rough Country 4.5 kit. I am running Tera flex 1 inch coil spacers and 2 inch Tera flex shackles. The whole kit netted me roughly 5-5.5 inches of lift when it all settled down. I swapped in a Pitman arm out of a ZJ Grand Cherokee. It drops about 5/8inch maybe a bit more. Was it necessary? I don't know. I wasn't really getting any binding but, I was in the junkyard and a V8 ZJ was ripe for the picking. I grabbed the pitman arm, tie rod(swapped on new tie rod ends) and the drag link. Got all those parts for $45. I did the Goferit knuckle flip for like $20. So for roughly $70, I got a great handling and non-binding steering setup.

Also, The lift manufactuers SHOULD include all hardware. That is such a pain in the a$$. Hope my $0.02 helps a bit.

I'm really expressing my opinion in a tongue-in-cheek fashion for the most part.
Yes RE is a respected company and they make lots of good quality kits etc. etc...
But through the manufacturing process, vehicles come off the assembly line with slight variations -- add 11 years of abuse to one of those vehicles...
As well, lift kits are generally designed and fitted using a brand new vehicle in mind, everything is straight, the bolts aren't coated in rust etc etc.

Take those two factorss into account, and it's a tough job for a company to make a kit that will work well every time.
With that in mind, I wish that companies would include ALL required hardware, and not rely on the end user/installer to re-use old rusty bolts, some of which had to be cut off of my Jeep.
If I could mention a couple specific criticisms I have of Rubicon Express --> their instructions are somewhat lacking and the included photocopied pictures that go along with the instructions are really crappy.
Also, the welds on the bracketry... They aren't continuous through the whole joint. It's like they welded the first 3rd, then the last 3rd, with a gap in the middle. Almost seems like it would have been just as easy to continue the weld all the way along, rather than stopping in the middle and starting a little further down.
And it definitely would have been stronger.

All the components of the kit seem to be pretty stout though, and once installed, I don't foresee having any issues.

I bought a kit from RE because they do have a good reputation, so I had high expectations -- much higher than what I had for a previous Skyjacker kit of mine.
I still feel the RE kit is of good quality, but it certainly isn't perfect.

I agree with you on the hardware issue, I wish they would supply all new hardware. Its why at work we have totes full of hardware and a fully stocked nut, bolt and washer bin just so we can replace the necessary hardware that is not supplied.

As a final postto this thread regarding my need for the extra drop...

I did actually need one, there was no way the steering geometry would be crrect without one.
As it turns out, both my castor and camber were way out of factory spec after the install was complete. Trying to control the Jeep on a bumpy road was nearly impossible, especially for me having only one good arm!
I needed to order some adjustable control arms, I don't remember if it was the uppers or lowers, but I'm still not into the range of being within spec. Close, but not quite...
I bought my kit back in '07 and the adjustable links didn't come with my kit, apparently they do now, or are at least an option.

Anyways, it's guzzling gas like a demon because it's still on the stock 3.55 gearing. It looks like I'll get about 230 KM to this tank! lol

I may be getting some 4.56's later this summer, as funds allow...
Might get an ARB in the front as well since it isn't much extra labour.

As a final postto this thread regarding my need for the extra drop...

I did actually need one, there was no way the steering geometry would be crrect without one.
As it turns out, both my castor and camber were way out of factory spec after the install was complete. Trying to control the Jeep on a bumpy road was nearly impossible, especially for me having only one good arm!
I needed to order some adjustable control arms, I don't remember if it was the uppers or lowers, but I'm still not into the range of being within spec. Close, but not quite...
I bought my kit back in '07 and the adjustable links didn't come with my kit, apparently they do now, or are at least an option.

Anyways, it's guzzling gas like a demon because it's still on the stock 3.55 gearing. It looks like I'll get about 230 KM to this tank! lol

I may be getting some 4.56's later this summer, as funds allow...
Might get an ARB in the front as well since it isn't much extra labour.

if camber is out of spec, then something is wrong with your axle. camber has nothing to do with the lift you installed. camber out of spec is a result of bad ball joints, bent axle, bad hub....

as for caster, what arms came with the kit? uppers and lowers, or just lowers? non adjustable? if they are fixed arms, you can still adjust the caster slightly by shimming the lower control arm caster shoe in the frame mount. there is a slot in the lower control arm frame mount where the arm can be moved back to front and a shim is place behind it so it doesnt slide when under load.

One of my axle tubes was slightly bent, and has been replaced.
The upper and lowers came with the kit, none of them were adjustable.

I think I know what you are talking about regarding the area to shim, but that didn't seem to be the right direction to go according to the 2 different shops I've had it in - one is a 4x4 specialty shop, and after he had looked at it for a while, sent me to another shop that specializes in front end work.

if you want to adjust your caster, its the only option you have without adjustable arms.

and what other hardware should be included with the kit? front leaf spring bolts, upper shackle bolts, frame side control arm bolts? IMO that would be asking a little much. i feel that my RE 4.5" kit was very complete. i cant complain in that respect.

Back