• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Anyone have a gun rack or rifle mount in their XJ?

90Pioneer

NAXJA Forum User
I'm trying to figure out a place to mount an M1 carbine in my XJ, yet still have it relatively easily accessable from the drivers seat.

So far my best idea is on the roof just behind the head rests, but securing the mounts to the roof would be pretty difficult. Finding the right set of mounts would be even harder. I don't want to drop the entire headliner either.

Anyone have a better idea?

jcw sells a shelf that sits above the visors for an xj, that might be a good option or I have seen seat covers that have loops on each side for a rifle/shotgun. keep in mind in some states both of these options are illegal. if you want locking check the police equiptment (galls website) many of them have remote electric switch or can be opened with a hand cuff key. I don't know if it will fit and I would definately keep it in a case but you might try between the seat and the door.

A nice gun in your car in a visible location is the MOST INVITING thing that a crook would ever see!
Plus with the new conceal and carry law in MO I just keep my .45 right at my side:us:

1985xjlaredo said:
A nice gun in your car in a visible location is the MOST INVITING thing that a crook would ever see!
Plus with the new conceal and carry law in MO I just keep my .45 right at my side:us:

New law? You guys are allowed to carry now?

Yea we were always allowed to carry you just couldn't hide it before. Almost every state has a loop hole in the law that allows a citizen to carry a fire arm, batton, knife... whatever on the outside of there clothing where it can be viewed in plain site. We can now holster the weapon and even sotre it under our drivers seat fully locked and loaded.
Good to know that some of us are getting our fukin rights back in this messed up :bs:country! :peace: :patriot:

My XJ is a 4 door.

For those of you complaining, there is nothing wrong with exercising my right to bear arms. I live in Oregon and in Oregon you can carry a firearm in your vehicle, without a concealed carry license, as long as the gun is in plain view.

I am not looking to store the carbine in my Jeep. It doesn't need to lock and it wont be left unattended. I just want something to keep it from flying everywhere when I'm out in the woods or wheeling, etc.

I thought about above the visors but in a severe roll over I don't think my head would like the rifle crushing into it.

Maybe I will modify the console and stick it between that and the passenger seat.

90Pioneer said:
I thought about above the visors but in a severe roll over I don't think my head would like the rifle crushing into it.

so your head would rather just feel the sheetmetal and windsheild glass?

"a severe roll" is too hard to plan for - I used to think about that... now i just figure that no matter where I put anything, as long as its strapped down, it'll either hit me as that part of the vehicle caves in... or it wont...

KSXJ said:
Kansas is changing their law I believe also to be able to carry and conceal. not sure I like the conceal part, but oh well.

If you're not sure about concealed carry, it's because you haven't read about the results of similar laws around the country. Concealed carry is considered the second largest influance in the change of crime rates- prison sentances is #1.

Take a look around at the number of legal concealed weapons used in a crime. *hint*- it's very low.

Be careful for what you ask for you want to be able to carry your piece so they ask you to register it so they now know what you have. What is there next step? Who knows....

As for the mount they do make a rack that goes across the roof and it mounts on the ends.
I feel the same way if it falls or there is roll over it's that much closer to the head...
I was looking at making my own upright mount like the cops use just for the hills or should I say for wild lee oyte.

ALL PLAY said:
Be careful for what you ask for you want to be able to carry your piece so they ask you to register it so they now know what you have. What is there next step? Who knows....

As for the mount they do make a rack that goes across the roof and it mounts on the ends.
I feel the same way if it falls or there is roll over it's that much closer to the head...
I was looking at making my own upright mount like the cops use just for the hills or should I say for wild lee oyte.

In MI to OWN a handgun it must be registered. I am licensed to carry concealed I dont really care if they know what I have, They arent taking it away.

"from my cold dead hands"

90Pioneer said:

Maybe I will modify the console and stick it between that and the passenger seat.

What about on the dash via some brackets and/or a mount similar to an old MB/GPW?

If you are not sure what I am talking about, rent the movie "A Bridge Too Far". Cool scene in that move that shows this mount being used.

I was going to fangle something similar for my CJ8 but ended up selling the Jeep before getting too far into the idea.

what are you gonna use it for? something like seeing deer or pigs or a bear or sumthin while wheeling or in the woods? if so just get a .44 magnum pistol and get a belt holster and strap it to the center console. actually no matter what you are going to use it for you should get a .44 magnum or that new smith & wesson model 500 .50 magnum. that way you can kill whatever it is you need to kill and it is small enough to store. oh btw you can buy small shot shells for a 44 and some other pistols and they tear stuff up

how about chopping the back off, and welding a pintle mount back there. some ammo can brackets welded to the wheelwells would be awsome too!!

ok, in all seriousness, i would like to ask what its used for. if its just to have cause you can, i would seriously rethink your current course of action. again, an M1 is a pretty gun and a thief would love to take it even if you just went into the local walmart or gas station. if you want it for hunting, one of them already listed could be a good choice (just remember that most states dont let you "hunt/shoot from a vehicle...).

stewie said:
how about chopping the back off, and welding a pintle mount back there. some ammo can brackets welded to the wheelwells would be awsome too!!

ok, in all seriousness, i would like to ask what its used for. if its just to have cause you can, i would seriously rethink your current course of action. again, an M1 is a pretty gun and a thief would love to take it even if you just went into the local walmart or gas station. if you want it for hunting, one of them already listed could be a good choice (just remember that most states dont let you "hunt/shoot from a vehicle...).

I don't want to be rude but frankly, it's none of your business why I have it or what I use it for.

It is my right to carry a gun around with me and I will do so if I please.

Back