• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

front pinion angle?

Shomsky462

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
ok so i just got finished putting in my RK longarms. i got these to finally fix the dreaded deathwobble ive been having for a really long time.
i dont know what to do.... new ball joints... didnt fix it($350). tire balancing nope. long arms nope. blah blah blah.
things i dont have i think would help:
-steering stabalizer(so ive heard you should be able to run without one)
-correct pinion angle(what should it be at?)
so would it be a good idea to take it into a local shop and ask them to align it by ajusting the lenght of the control arms and also setting the correct pinion angle? and what should the correct pinion angle be at with about 6" of lift?
thanks, and sorry for the horribly put together paragraph that probably makes no sense but thanks for looking anyways
-Shomsky

Pinion angle has nothing to do with deathwobble, with the exception that the more you turn your pinion up, the worse your caster gets and the more likely you are to get deathwobble - unless of course you cut and rotate your knuckles and or tube, or use offset balljoints.

When is the last time you replaced your unit bearings? What trackbar are you using? What steering setup? Have you replaced all of your tie rod, trackbar, and draglink ends at the same time? Piecemealing that while driving it will destroy each new part faster than you can replace the other old ones. Also did you check the output shaft on your steering box to make sure its still tight? What balljoints did you buy? If they are offset have you checked your caster and camber since installing them?

-C

i just recently had ball joints installed. no offset or anything.
i have rustys steering with no stabalizer. i bougt it used.
i havent checked the output shaft on the steering box. i know the pitman is in there tight but i dont know about the output shaft.
do you think i need a new steering box? or maybe just one that hasent been wheeled on so much and stressed alot?
i have rough country track bar. somewhat new.
but the tie rod ends in the steering are probably worn out.
but its not death wobble that seems like it would be coming from the tie rod ends. its starts up really quick and violent. its not slow and doesnt start out slow. it gets right into it.
thanks
-Shomsky

Deathwobble is deathwobble. The fact that it doesnt walk up and tap you on the shoulder before saying "BOO!" doesnt rule out any source or part. Buy new tie rod ends, replace all 4 points at once and then work from there. That should have been the first step in troubleshooting.. ;)

-C

First I would look at the Rusty's steering and the RC trackbar.Im at 6" with
a LP D-30,never had DW!2nd would be tires/wheels/balance.

Hmm well I had horrible deathwobble til I just put a couple of steering stabilizers on. Fairly sure that my front end is worn down (tie rods etc) but the stabilizers hide the problem really well, heh. (havent wobbled since...)

make sure that trackbar, and it's bushings, are in good shape and tight. i had HELLISH death wobble that gave no warning, it just broke loose. stabilizer hid it a little bit. tire balance toned it down a bit. new adjustable trackbar(replacing the stock worn out bar) eliminated it completely. i truly believe that 99.9% of the time the main contributers are loose/worn steering components/trackbar, or a combination of tire imbalance and incorrect alignment. these are the things which i have personally seen to eliminate the dreaded DW when fixed. just my .02

I know this is gona sound dumb.

MAKE SURE YOUR TIRES ARE BALANCED CORRECTLY!

Mine were off balance, and then re-balanced. It went away completely, and it was HORRID!

Mud on the rims throws off balance, so if you go wheeling a lot, get the BB's to balance them

ok heres what i have, have had done and am going to get:
-i have rustys steering with worn out tie rod ends, no stabilizer.
-rough country track bar, no cracks on frame mount and its bolted on real
tight cause i tightened it a lot just recently.
-brand new ball joints, no off set no nothing just plain old ball joints.
-brand new rock krawler long arms, 3-link
-33" procomp mud terrains balanced about a week ago.
my driveshaft is not missing any weights. its not dented not anything, its fine.

im taking it in tomorrow morning to a reputable shop that ive taken it to before along with my whole family.
im going to ask the owner, Ken, to replace all steering tie rod ends, install stabilizer i bought onto the rustys steering, inspect long arms for correct lenght on both sides and the "krawler joints" centered on the lower frame mount so they arent crooked, and have the pinion angle set to the correct degree, and have it aligned.
it sounds like a lot but it really isnt... tie rod ends, stabilizer, and alignment.
and if this doesnt fix it.....ill probably drive my jeep off a cliff...with me still in it...
thanks
-Shomsky

check that RC tracbar...had a buddy put one on to replace a worn out stock one and still had the wobbles...turned out I could watch the RC track bar flexxing just turning back and forth on the pavement...

Back