• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Quick Question about my 90 xj with 3 inch lift

justjeep94

NAXJA Forum User
I just bought a procomp 3 inch lift for my 90 and i want to put 1.75 coil spacers up front and rear 2 inch blocks. For a total of about 5 inch lift what do i have to buy i have 16 inch long control arms.

SYE kit,longer control arms,steering,or trac bar?

What do i need :NAXJA: i dont know:helpme:

i want to run 33s, The only reason i was going to use blocks is because i have so laying around but will i need steering or anything up front with 5?

Your gonna want control arm drop brackets or you will be posting up yet another death wobble thread. The angle of the lower control arms at that lift height will cause DW something fierce. Also consider parking brake cables and brake lines.

Aren't 16-16.5 LCA's about right for 4-5" lift? You will want a new trackbar for sure.
FOr the rear I would recommend the shackle relocation kit. Will give you lift and better angle.

Where's Andy when you need him? Basically, you're gonna need a lot of stuff to go from the three inch lift to 5+, not just lift blocks and spacers. As people already mentioned, track bar and/or relocation bracket, control arms and/or drop brackets, SYE, longer shocks, longer brake lines, etc... If you already have the three inch lift why don't you get some used 31's (you could even run 32's with trimming) until you can get everything you need to do it right? Lift blocks and spacers are gonna cause a lot more problems if you don't get the other necessary upgrades...

Thanks guys ,yeah i have brake lines and coils,add a leaf,control arms from pro-comp and new shocks
If i just go another inch to 4 inches of lift with a shackle and a spacer will i need a drop down kit and a new trackbar or what
Thanks
but still want to run either 32s or 33s:laugh3:

I ran the 5.5" RE long arm lift with stock steering. I was planning on upgrading it but it isn't 100% needed to go 5" you could also get away with a YJ yoke and TC drop in place of SYE to cut costs down a bit. I would do a SYE but not 100% needed as soon as you put the lift on. I am just trying to save you money. These other guys are telling you whats best, I just happen to know what you can get away with for a while to buy some time. Good luck.

Thanks guys ,yeah i have brake lines and coils,add a leaf,control arms from pro-comp and new shocks
If i just go another inch to 4 inches of lift with a shackle and a spacer will i need a drop down kit and a new trackbar or what
Thanks
but still want to run either 32s or 33s:laugh3:

I have a 4.5" lift and run 33's. I would say yes on the trackbar, and like said before, the angle of your control arms being correct would be a Big benefit.

just my .02 but I have about 5 in of lift. Only running aftermarket tracbar and lower control arms. No sye, never had any problems.

just my .02 but I have about 5 in of lift. Only running aftermarket tracbar and lower control arms. No sye, never had any problems.

so your saying on my 90 xj i can run 4.5-5 inches with out getting a SYE and stick with stock drive shafts?

Doing my lift in like 12 hours:shiver: so let me know

i need to do a little more research about my drivesafts and stuff:compwork:
Thanks guys for your input

You could run 33's at 3.5 with some trimming.

Just because you have blocks doesn't mean you should use them.

I agree with John. You can run 33's with about 3.5 inches of lift if you trim your fenders! CAN you get away with a SYE at 4.5-5 inches? Yes... for a while anyway. I ran 4.5" without a SYE on mine with absolutely no vibes for over a year, but the angles will eventually destroy your u-joint, and the vibes pretty much make it impossible to get it not to vibrate even if you change the u-joint (I just got a new u-joint after that happened to me thinking it would last another year or so but was destroyed after a couple weeks)... so you SHOULD get a SYE if you go that tall of a lift (and yes, I had TC drop brackets before I ran a SYE). Some people will get vibes right off the bat after lifting it that tall, some might get away for a few days, weeks, or months, but eventually you're going to need one that's all we're saying. We can't tell the future so it's impossible to know before you lift it if you can go as much as 5 inches without vibes until you do it. I would think it depends on the condition of your driveshaft u-joint to begin with and if you have your pinion angle as close to perfect as possible. Most people will tell you the same thing (from experience), to do it right the first time. If you only have a 3 inch lift, and don't want to (or can't) drop the cash for the other stuff that will make it safer to drive go with what you have. If you use smaller spacers and shackles to go to about 3.5 inches you CAN run 33's and can get away without the SYE and CV driveshaft for a much longer amount of time. Just my $0.02 though...

Jason

Back