• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Knocking under a load in all gears but 4th?

Carone

NAXJA Forum User
My 88 Comanchee 4.0l 5 speed was killing rotor. It turned out to be a bad cap and isnow running great, however, now it makes a knocking sound when in gear except 4th. The sound changes speed with the rpms. Does this sound like a dead sync sensor?

Not to me, but grab a 3-foot piece of vinyl tubing, or a mechanics stethoscope, and start hunting.

It may be in the trans. All the other gears transfer power through the counter shaft. 4th couples direct from the input shaft to the output shaft.

just a thought.

It may be in the trans. All the other gears transfer power through the counter shaft. 4th couples direct from the input shaft to the output shaft.

just a thought.

That would makes sense, i guess I'll be looking for a AX10 and tcase to replace the BA10

i think its supposed to be an ax15 :confused:

Not to me, but grab a 3-foot piece of vinyl tubing, or a mechanics stethoscope, and start hunting.

Can we rule out spark knock?
DO not just assume that the trans is at fault. As joe peters said, you should do an inspection and see if you can find the problem, because it can also be engine related.

DO not just assume that the trans is at fault. As joe peters said, you should do an inspection and see if you can find the problem, because it can also be engine related.

Agreed.

although it sounds pretty unlikely that an engine issue will present in all forward speeds except direct drive. I would love to hear what the final diagnosis turned out to be. please keep us posted.

Back