• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Grand Marquis 8.8

dagr8tim

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys, my mother's 95 Grand Marquis just bit it. I'm wondering if anyone knows how useable the 8.8 would be. The reason I ask is that it's an LS with a 3.73 LSD disk brake rear end that should be the same bolt pattern as a Jeep.

Basically she told me to come get whatever I want off of it before the junk man hauls it away.

I know I should have searched, but she's 2 hours away and I need to decide if I want to drive down tomorrow with some tools or not.

well its the same as a crown vic 8.8... and I think that those are a little more narrow than even the ford explorer 8.8 (which is also a little narrower than the Dana 35 / 8.25). I think there are other difference between the crown vic 8.8 and the explorer 8.8 but I forget.

The difference in length is that the Marquis 8.8 is wider. Everything else is fine.

Explorer 8.8 WMS = 59.5"
Marquis 8.8 WMS = 62.8"

60.5" Same as D30 and D35. :)

Rob the shafts and gears out of it and find a 27sp shaft version if your worried about the width.

Grand Marquis should be 27 spline IIRC.

the axles in the crown vic/ grand marquis are not near as strong as the 31 spines most of them neck down way sooner than the ranger ones. The other problem is the disk brakes set up is a little flaky I ran one in the back of my Bronco II and it held up fine to a 302 (blew up a carrier not the shafts) but it had a auto. But I was forever messing with the brakes and the calipers are stupid expensive and prone to leaking through the e brake cam.
the e brake cam is in behind the piston in the fluid

And the 2005+ Grand Marquis have 31 spline axles.

I assume somebody swapped the 3.73's in? Most Grand Marquis's come with an open 2.73, some of the older ones (92-94 perhaps and earlier) had 3.08 rear ratios.

Crown Victoria Police Packages came with 3.27 or 3.55 ratio with or without Trac-Lok in the 8.8.

As mentioned, Ford trucks always had 31 spline axles in the 8.8 but it wasn't until 2005 for the Grand Marquis and Crown Victoria to receive the 31 spline axles. Not sure about Town Car's, I assumed they followed the same schedule but not always. The Grand Marquis and Crown Victoria are pretty much twins with the Town Car being a near cousin, or so it appears.

l_feb95511dfd64cf3b28b8f29d8b9ec00.jpg

Back