• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Attaching one E-brake cable to another?

Muddy Beast

NAXJA Forum User
I thought I read somewhere on here that someone attached one e-brake cable to another one to give it some extension...but now I can't find where I read that. Basically I have an 8.8 under my rig, which runs a different e-brake mount on the axle end, so I was hoping I could cut the stock explorer cable and add it to the stock XJ one? I was thinking maybe small u-bolts, like clamp them with slack and loop them back to the other cable and clamp again, so a total of 3 clamps per side. Is this plausable or is it just a dumb idea?

~Scott

btt. Anyone?

~Scott

I will share my secret ebrake cable solution. I purchased a length of all thread and a coupling nut that matched the size of the existing ebrake rod. I screwed them together lengthening the rod. Now, I did it a bit different than I will describe but you will get the idea.

While under the vehicle, you will see two reinforcing plates where the rear seat belts attach. You will notice a small bracket on each one. You can cut a piece of angle iron to run between these brackets and attache it at both ends with small bolts. Now all that has to be done is drill two holes for the ebrake cables to feed through. The hole will be the same size as the original brackets where the ebrake cables mounted. Now feed the cables through the new bracket and attach them on the all thread.

I would go out and take a pix but we have a touch of snow here right now.

why not get a hold of control cables in southern california and have them make you a set of cables that fit right the first time they make all the cables for the aftermarket brake kits. bear ssbc tera-flex and all sort of others . Kinda is a SECRET so don't tell to many about it 1 562 949-0455

I will share my secret ebrake cable solution. I purchased a length of all thread and a coupling nut that matched the size of the existing ebrake rod. I screwed them together lengthening the rod. Now, I did it a bit different than I will describe but you will get the idea.

While under the vehicle, you will see two reinforcing plates where the rear seat belts attach. You will notice a small bracket on each one. You can cut a piece of angle iron to run between these brackets and attache it at both ends with small bolts. Now all that has to be done is drill two holes for the ebrake cables to feed through. The hole will be the same size as the original brackets where the ebrake cables mounted. Now feed the cables through the new bracket and attach them on the all thread.

Only problem I can see with that is the 8.8 E-brake cable mounts differently on the axle end then the stock Jeep axles, AND the cables are equal length...

~Scott

I did something similar only I cut the whole bracket off of each side and moved them back about 4" and welded them back to the floor pan.

Back