• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Spring bolts

Droopy76

NAXJA Forum User
Can somebody please give me some good advice on how to get the leaf spring and shackle bolts out. I don't have access to a set of torches so I can't heat them up. The best I can do is a 3/4 in. drive ratchet and a piece of pipe. I think I'm screwed! I have soaked them in PB blaster but still no luck. Any good ideas would be greatly appreciated.

The problem is the bolt freezes to the bushing inner sleeve so any pressure on the bolt is just absorbed by the bushing before it reaches the nut. One thing you can do is cut the leaf wrap off the bushing so that torque can pass down to the nut without interference, and then start loading and unloading the pipe/ratchet slow and steady to bump the bolt free. Another option for the shackle end is to use an angle grinder to cut through the bolt on either side of the leaf, and let the hardware pieces just fall off (make sure you have the replacement hardware first). Cutting the bolt won't work up front since the nut is welded in the pocket and that would leave a piece of the bolt stuck in the weld nut.

You can get a breaker bar and the correct 1/2 socket for about $20 at some auto part stores. I'd make the investment, your 3/8s probably doesn't stand a chance.

When I took mine off I had soaked them 3 times daily for a week straight with PB blaster and I still had to put a pipe on the breaker bar to get them out, they were ridiculous!

I have a 3/4 in. ratchet, not a 3/8. A 3/8 wouldn't stand a chance with these monster's. If I cut the hardware where would be the best place to get new bolts? Does Advance Auto carry specific bolts like that?

I have a 3/4 in. ratchet, not a 3/8. A 3/8 wouldn't stand a chance with these monster's. If I cut the hardware where would be the best place to get new bolts? Does Advance Auto carry specific bolts like that?

Whoops! Misread you there! I still stand by my other advise though, I think a breaker bar is your best bet, they come in very handy.

I got some hardware from a fellow NAXJA member, but the dealer sells new bolts for $14 and new nuts for $5. You can get them at the junkyard too, since they are almost the same as the hardware on the front lower control arms (slight difference in length).

Back