• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Some questions...

itbrokeagain

NAXJA Forum User
:scottm::dunno:New to the xj thing so please bear with me.....

Np242- As good as a 231 strength wise?

8.25 rear- How do these usually old up?
Any issues with bending or spinning axle tubes?

Any one have any experience with a Dana 30 hub conversion?

How does the Rough Country 6.5 lift hold up? Was thinking this plus a 1.5 shackle lift and coil spacers. I know it will take a lot of work to make this combo work but I am up for it.

Why dont I ever see any Cherokee limiteds? I see lots of classics and sports.

:eyes::skull1::explosion

Last edited:
and you cant just stack lift parts on top of each other and expect good results, the 6.5 kit is designed to go from stock to 6.5, not stock to 8" lift...

you dont really want 8" of lift anyway, keep reading around to find out why.

the only reason to run 8" is to run HUMONGEOUS tires, which your oem 8.25/d30 cannot possibly handle.

Np242- As good as a 231 strength wise?

The NP-242 t-case is a pretty good t-case. While not as strong as a 231, the 242 is a preferred swap for a lot of guys with the 5.2 V8-equipped ZJ's. If they hold up to 220 hp & 285+ lbs/ft, then I figure they'll hold up to a 4.0's power just fine.

8.25 rear- How do these usually old up?
Any issues with bending or spinning axle tubes?
IMHO it depends on what style of wheeling, what size tires, and whether or not your axle is locked. Also, the year of the axle will affect it's strength as well. Generally, the early 8.25 axle is fine for up to 33" tires. (This is based off of lotsa reading, so a grain of salt is recommended.) The later 8.25 axles are even better! The 8.25 axle has thicker tubes, and the tube diameter is larger as well. Couple the tube size with the stronger diff housing & larger gears, and the 8.25 is a solid axle.

Any one have any experience with a Dana 30 hub conversion?

Nope.

How does the Rough Country 6.5 lift hold up? Was thinking this plus a 1.5 shackle lift and coil spacers. I know it will take a lot of work to make this combo work but I am up for it.

What size of tire are you planning on running? RC makes a solid, middle-ground sort of lift. Meat-and-potatoes sort of thing. :D

Why dont I ever see any Cherokee limiteds? I see lots of classics and sports.

Probably has something to do with the fact that Jeep stopped making the Limited in 1993, (at least until the last couple of years, I think.) Sad to say, but the Grim Reaper is slowly claiming the lions share of our beloved unibodys.

:)

and you cant just stack lift parts on top of each other and expect good results, the 6.5 kit is designed to go from stock to 6.5, not stock to 8" lift...

you dont really want 8" of lift anyway, keep reading around to find out why.

the only reason to run 8" is to run HUMONGEOUS tires, which your oem 8.25/d30 cannot possibly handle.

No not humongeous tires, just 36s. It just seems like everyone is running a 35. The 6.5 and some trimming looks like it will get me what I want. I will eventually go to a 44 and a 60 but it has been a very long time since I have wheeled a narrow Jeep.

Search isnt really giving me what I want. It pulls up lots and lots of articles that arnt really relavant to anything.

IMO 231 are stronger then 242.

8.25 are good axles and hold up good as long as they used within there limits.

Rough Country doesn't hold up very well at all..... lol j/k. X2 XCM, when you start stacking larger lift kits things dont turn out well. The 6.5 already comes with shackles so you would have to go another route in the rear. You may get away with a spacer but you will loose more caster.

And cause XJ Sports kick ass.... (cause I have one)

Probably has something to do with the fact that Jeep stopped making the Limited in 1993, (at least until the last couple of years, I think.) Sad to say, but the Grim Reaper is slowly claiming the lions share of our beloved unibodys.

:)

My 98 is a Limited. I have been paying attention ever since
I "picked" it up. Only one I have seen so far

Here are some fun fact about the XJs
Production Numbers

# of XJs built in given year:

84 - 93,326
85 - 120,328
86 - 107,225
87 - 139,295
88 - 187,136
89 - 207,216