• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Older NP231 in a 99?

kruntch

NAXJA Forum User
Im new so bear with me. I have a 99 xj sport with 231 transfer case it leaks a little and always slips out of 4 low,i figured it was on its way out.So I went to my local pick and pull yard and found a 231 t-case but im not sure if it will fit (from a 92 i think?!) i was planning on rebuilding it and swaping since it is my dd and i cant aford the down time im just wondering if it will work? and if anybody knows a good rebuild kit? any info would help thanx!!

I believe 1991 and up are 23 spline so you should be ok I am not a 100% sure, but have you tried to adjust your linkage its a common reason for them to slip out of 4 low. Also a loose chain can cause it as well and a new chain is around $60 and easy to install. then you can reseal it and it will fix a few problems. I would check it out before trying to replace it.

well i got the t-case for 60$ so i figured i will rebuild it if possible (and if not too much$$) put in a slip yolk eliminator (so i can get rid of that rustys t-case drop) while i still go to work everyday! than when i find time do the swap it would be easy, just a thought! if its that easy to change a chain mabey i'll just go that route how long do you figure it would take im sure i got all the right tools i think the leak is comming from the linkage also thanx

They sell O ring rebuild kits that may be where your old one is leaking. Also if you are doing a SYE you might as well do a chain cause it may save you from rebuilding it later. Just to put in a a SYE, if you have never done it, it can take a few hours plus doing a chain and rebuild kit would be about another hour or so. You need a good set of Lock Ring Pliers like these. Search here on NAXJA and there are a ton of write ups on doing the SYE.
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00999949000P?keyword=snap+ring+pliers

The website for my work in 4wheelparts.com and 4wd.com

I don't remember when it changed, but the tailshaft section along with the output shaft changed somewhere after the Renix years.

I don't remember when it changed, but the tailshaft section along with the output shaft changed somewhere after the Renix years.

The tailshaft bearing support for the output shaft changed in 1995 which is why the newer XJs are more prone to driveline vibrations. After a lift is installed the driveshaft angles and the lack of support of the output shaft when the bearing was relocated.... are what cause the vibrations...
IIRC.... the relocation of the bearing was to accomodate a different type of output shaft seal...

The output housing doesn't affect anything outside the transfer case though--the rear drive shaft is the same. All it will do is make his jeep run smoother.

Running the 92 vs the 99..... The older location of the bearing should alleviate the possibility of vibrations....
My 98 XJ with 231 had driveline vibrations from when it was NEW...
The dealership could do nothing to alleviate the problem....
The factory put out a TSB which recommmended the crossmember drop that was just a bandaide at best... since they couldnt solve the problem....
For me... the only solution was the installation of a SYE; which I have had since 4/98. It was installed by Jeff Sugg of MIT who was the originator of the SYE.

Technical service bulliten

It will be fine, just change the speedo driven gear. I have a 95XJ case in my 00XJ the only difference I found is with the shift detent pin and spring which is internal. Get a linkage bushing kit, the updated viton bushings are a pale green and replace the blcak ones, I believ there are four. While removing the linkage to replace the bushings there is a small bearing and retainer that could be replaced. This will keep the shift handle from rattling while stopped at a traffic light. and finally, sometimes when the trans mount goes bad the 231 is very difficult to get into 4-lo completely and it will pop out when accelerating

Last edited:
i talked to a (so called) pro from a (so called)famous transmition shop in vancouver on the phone to get a rebuild kit and he said the front bearings wont match up they changed in the late models but a rebuild kit for my leaking 99 231 will cost me 275$ is this guy just blowing smoke up my a## or what? will i at least be able to use the chain out of the old one? I hate wasting money, and time pulling the old one from a scrap yard for nothing! So I am back here again! I thought I would ask the real pros! thanx

I took a look at Rusty's t/c drop kit on their website.

Your problem with it popping out of 4lo may be related to the lack of a shift lever adapter bracket.

Take a look at this t/c drop kit and the adjusting bracket: http://www.skyjacker.com/image/search/pdf/TCL30.pdf

yeah i think i have had enough of buying rustys crap with the shipping and everything in the end i could have had skyjacker or RE i had to remove the steering dampener to get my oil pan out the other day and the bolt they sent me for their crappy steering dampener mushroomed after whacking it with plastic mallet! the lift is 3 months old and the shocks are gone already! but it was starting to pop out of 4lo before the lift

Back