• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

pre-filter?

That's my XJ in the bottom pics. I learned a few things since then. I ordered the next size smaller and it fits WAY better than the 8" model. I am not running the safety filter in it, and i am noticing no mileage or performance loss. i have even run over 500 miles with the end of the air cleaner off and other than the increase in noise, nothing changed with either mileage or performance.

The 8" housing has a 3.5" inlet. where the 6" housing has a 3" inlet, almost exactly the same size as the ARB snorkel outlet.

As far as how it works, well i bought the new housing with a new Donaldson air filter almost 4 years ago. I decided to remove the flapper valve at the bottom and install a removable plug instead. These housings work extremely well. I would guess i could fill a 20 oz soda bottle will all the dirt i have drained from removing the plug. And i am still on the original filter and at this rate will continue to be for a couple more years. I can get pics of the new housing and filter tomorrow if anyone wants them.

Dingo

The various mechanical pre-filters are in common use on commercial, farm, and heavy construction equipment.(and military) They are very effective. The main problem for average automobile use is they take up too much space. If you don't mind having a huge dome or hat sticking out of the hood, or can find the space for one of the canister style air cleaners, go for it.

If you have trouble sourcing the parts, look at tractor or construction equipment parts(John deer/Cat/etc) We run a Napa tractor filter on our race truck(MJ)
NAPA PN 6455
722390.jpg

This kind of thing?

http://www.knfilters.com/search/wrap.aspx

somebody else makes them for 4x4s too, I don't remember who.
Not just for 4x4s; http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/eapf.aspx
If I was still running a k&n I would run one of these for sure, k&ns suck!
I just don't like the oiled air filters for our application. Dry filters are the way to go if you want to change from stock, IMO.
If you have trouble sourcing the parts, look at tractor or construction equipment parts(John deer/Cat/etc) We run a Napa tractor filter on our race truck(MJ)
NAPA PN 6455
That is an interesting option. The price isn't bad when compared to other filters either.
Link for those interested: http://www.napaonline.com/NOLPPSE/(S(0r35vnba5lngc4a42wvqvl45))/Detail.aspx?R=FIL6455_0212650121

I already have a cowl snorkle.The plan is to drill a hole on the right side of the cowl and stub up a pvc pipe.....the precleaner will sit ontop of that.
I'll do a write up when done....just ordered the precleaner today.
I think this is a great alternative to a snorkle head......

I get the impression that you guys think this is a typical pre-filter???
The one linked above in the thread starter works way different than those.....

How it works:
1. Air enters the underside of the dome through screened louvers, which prevents clogging by blocking any particles larger than the ejection slot from entering the unit.

2. Curved particle accelerator blades slam air and dirt up against the sidewall

3. Strakes along the interior surface move heavier-than-air debris towards the ejection slot

4. Clean air continues to swirl down into the engine air inlet pipe

Will a 3" intake and 50-120 cfm be sufficient for the 4.0???

Last edited:
Have you tried the style In the link?
Tell me why this isn't a viable option to a traditional snorkel head.

Benefits of using Sy-Klone Air Precleaners
- Greatly extends air filter life.
- Lowers cost per operating hour.
- Reduces downtime.
- No spot-welded parts.
- Designed with prescreen to protect from large -debris.
- Expels all types of debris including mud, snow, rain, leaves, sawdust, chafe, and dust.
- Non-reflective finish.
- Works in all weather conditions.
- More affordable than metal units.
- Non-corrosive material.
- Material is designed to have the cost of plastic and strength of steel.
- Lowers overall engine maintenance costs.

Last edited:
I get the impression that you guys think this is a typical pre-filter???
The one linked above in the thread starter works way different than those....
That's EXACTLY how all the commercial/construction pre-filters work. As I said, if you can find the room, or punch it through the hood, it's great.

Back