• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Baja 1000 Chase Crew needed

National Drivetrain

NAXJA Forum User
The Filarski Bros. and FatCity Racing are teaming up with National Drivetrain, Motive Gear and TEN Factory Axles to race this year’s Baja 1000.

We looking for a few good people with a reliable truck or Jeep, tools, good mechanical skills and a sense of adventure. Chasing the Baja 1000 is non-stop, dangerous, exciting, tiring, and an incredible experience that won’t be soon forgotten. We’ll be racing non-stop for over 24 hours.

We’ve been prepping the Cherokee for the last couple weeks. Here’s a link to the NAXJA prep thread:
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1010904

We have a “Winner drinks all” Beer bet going with a couple of the other teams over on Pirate 4X4 and have no intention of drinking our own beer after the race.
http://pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=827181

What I have:

We have a house in Ensenada lined up for the entire week prior to the race with plenty of room on the floor for sleeping bags. We’ll be pre-running the whole week before the race, so you welcome to come along. (4WD required)
We will supply you with a spare tire and misc. spare parts, a race radio, a full tank of gas and as much beer before and after the race as we can afford.

Wish could offer more in the way of monetary expenses, but the budget is on the slim…

What I need:

We need you and a buddy in Ensenada Mex. and ready for a good time from November 18th to the 22nd.

n651089677_1394602_5154.jpg

Baja1000-2009.jpg

If getting dirty, exhausted, being lost, and running non-stop sounds like a good time to you, then you’re the guys we’re looking for!

Post up if your interested.
Thanks,
Eric Filar
Filarski Bros.

cropped.jpg

Last edited:
Hmmmm, I am gonna be down there, and turns out we are not racing this year......

Man if I were not doing anything I'd be there.

How many chase teams (trucks) you looking for? What are your plans for them (if more than one chase team, what area(s) you looking to have them cover)?

Man, if i wasnt changin over to another PDS? Damn i would be down there in a heartbeat.

Eric, I'm interested. I have to be able to justify the extra time off, as I'm taking the whole week before that for a wheeling trip, so I'd pretty much be gone for two weeks. Can you chase in a 4x4 stock XJ? I have a full RE lift for it and 33's, but I wasn't going to install it until the spring. Will the required equipment fit?

When on the 18th would we need to be down there?

Eric, I'm interested. I have to be able to justify the extra time off, as I'm taking the whole week before that for a wheeling trip, so I'd pretty much be gone for two weeks. Can you chase in a 4x4 stock XJ? I have a full RE lift for it and 33's, but I wasn't going to install it until the spring. Will the required equipment fit?

I will jump in here for Eric, you can definitely do it in the stock XJ Goat, and if you can get the lift on there before, even better!!

Tony, haven't you chased down there in your 2wd diesel WK with BFG's?

Yup, last year I chased in the WK, 2wd, with a limited slip and BFGS on it. It has Bilsteins and a 2" budget boost. Didnt have a single problem.

That being said, if you end up needing to go in for recovery on the course, baja is known for some pretty nasty silt beds. We were fortunate enough to stay on primarily goat trails, and dirt roads... never got into any really bad stuff.

Ahhhh, I am soooooooooooo looking forward to the 1000 (aka the mil)

Even stock, I'd tweak it a little before going. Might be nice knowing I have all new axles and suspension for it back at home. :)

Have to talk to the wifey about being gone for nearly to weeks.............

And figure if I can afford it, since I'm still unemployed. Oh WTF, what's a few dollars invested in a great time. Anyone want to sponsor a a Baja 1000 chase crew? :D

If you have never done it, you will not regret it... thats all I can say. It really is unexplainable!

Well, Richard and I just talked.

Between the two of us, you're unlikely to find very much about any level of modified XJ we don't know and can't repair.

If he's in, I'm in.

Damn that sounds fun. My kind of twisted fun. But I don't have quite enough all-around knowledge to be of enough use. But damn that sounds fun. Yes, I am repeating myself. Sigh...

Richard,
I knew you'd be interested and would be stoked to have you and Cal on board.
Tony's right, Stock 4WD will work. Silt beds can be a mother if you had to get into one, but I've got faith that you know how to get out of, or around one if need be.

The 18th is the day before contingency, so anytime that day or night would be fine.

Tony,
It'd be great to get you on the crew. Your experience would invaluble.

Oh man, count me in!!!

Ive never been to Baja before, but have a love for jeepspeed! I would love to help out and chase. I have a 4x4 XJ, with 4.5" R.E and some bells and whistles. I also have a fairly good knowledge of jeep mechanics (i have taken apart my XJ tooo many times). the only thing that i have to do is get my dana 30 re-geared to 4.56 so i can be 4x4, but that wont take long.

1241832981550.jpg

-John B.

Alright guys, count me in as a 90 percent, just need to validate that our 16 car is for sure not racing.

Shoot me an email: [email protected]
I did most of the chase package preparation for our 1600 car. Ill send you some o it to see and start gathering thoughts.

I was thinking the same thing. I would be all over this if I wasn't so mechanically uninclined :jester:
I'm not mechanically uninclined, I just know there are more knowledgeable folks than I that can probably do this. Sigh.

Back