• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Track bar issues

twistedlizard720

NAXJA Forum User
How often do track bars go out?

I got a new OEM track bar replaced in January when the original took a dump driving down a snowpacked interstate. Ten months later, it clicks where it mounts to the body and the front is starting to wander again. I am sitting on a 3" pro-comp lift and do 4 wheel a bit but nothing too bad.

Check all 4 bolts that hold the trackbar bracket to the uniframe. You may find a loose one or two.

some cheaper jobber tracbars have crap joints which will wear quicker.

I had a 3" lift on my MJ and ended up blowing a few myself. I recommend spending the extra $100.00 and getting yourself an adjustable TB. Also check if the hole where you mount it to the frame has ovaled as this will cause a serious headache if not addressed.

Also, is your AC compressor supposed to kick when your defroster is on? It will run for a few seconds then shut off for a minute or two and it repeats the process.
Yes!

Took it to the Dealer (they originally installed the track bar). Turned out to be the tie rod on the pitman arm. That one was covered under warranty, so I got a new one at no cost. I was a little pissed cuz they didn't do an alignment, but it's simple enough to do at home. They did recommend having the steering gear adjusted, so I guess research on that is the next step.

In reguards to the AC turning on when I select defrost, why is this?

It dries the air.

I can't think of a reason to do any alignment for just replacing the track bar. If your tires are wearing oddly you may need one, but not due to the track bar.

They replaced the tie rod. And alignment should be part of the repair. You cannot replace it without it.

On this, we can agree to disagree. :wave1:

Before I took it in, steering wheel was centered and it drove straight. Now steering wheel is cocked to the left about 20 degrees and now pulls to the right. Thats the need for the alignment. I agree, I think an alignment should be included with any tie rod end, ball joint......well, any component in the steering system. But we all know the stealerships are going to squeeze every penny they can out of the customer.

Before I took it in, steering wheel was centered and it drove straight. Now steering wheel is cocked to the left about 20 degrees and now pulls to the right. Thats the need for the alignment. I agree, I think an alignment should be included with any tie rod end, ball joint......well, any component in the steering system. But we all know the stealerships are going to squeeze every penny they can out of the customer.

off center steering wheel is an adjustment to the drag link collar. the only alignment spec that gets changed with an alignment is the toe setting. if the toe is off, would it cause the steering to pull left or right.

if you have a TRE trackbar, make sure you lube it often.

Toe.
Caster.
Camber.

Adjusting toe--drag link collar as 89xj said earlier.
Adjusting caster--longer/shorter UCA/LCA, shimming LCA mounts, adjustable ball joints.
Adjusting camber--adjustable ball joints.

Note the lack of track bars in the above list.

Toe.
Caster.
Camber.

Adjusting toe--drag link collar as 89xj said earlier.
Adjusting caster--longer/shorter UCA/LCA, shimming LCA mounts, adjustable ball joints.
Adjusting camber--adjustable ball joints.

Note the lack of track bars in the above list.

sorry, joe, but to adjust toe, the tie rod(2 collars on the xj tie rod) gets adjusted. centering the steering wheel after a lift or alignment gets adjusted by adjusting the draglink collar. i do agree that replacing a drag link tre should not have affected toe.

sorry, joe, but to adjust toe, the tie rod(2 collars on the xj tie rod) gets adjusted. centering the steering wheel after a lift or alignment gets adjusted by adjusting the draglink collar. i do agree that replacing a drag link tre should not have affected toe.

Exactly--brain fart here! :cheers:

Back