• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

noob with a 93 2wd cherokee!

ufvj217

NAXJA Forum User
i just bought a 93 cherokee 2 door 2wd.

i wasent going to lift it but i found some Rough Country coils on craigslist for cheap.

what all will i need, and will they even fit a 2wd? here is the link-

http://tampa.craigslist.org/hil/pts/1421758979.html

do i need a transfercase drop?

also- say i went with the 6.5" coils, at what point does brake lines/driveshaft/etc need to be extended?

last off topic question, the little wing/vent triangle windows on the front doors, what years actually had the vent/wing style ones? 1986 to 88 or 89? all the 1990s+ have the solid window and id like to find a set of vent ones at a junkyard to throw on my 93.

im sure you will get all kinds of input on this, but lets start with the t-case drop.you dont have one.it is what makes it 4 wheel drive.
and whatever you end up using,ie; coils, blocks,add a leafs,will fit also.

id say start off with the 3.5 coils, extended brake lines,longer shocks,and see if you can make your own set of leafs from the j.y.
stay away from the add aleafs and blocks, get a locker for the rear and WHEEL IT!!
edit:
and the vent widow-my 91 has it. im sure its available most years.

ok so ill just stick with the 3.5" coils. so all i need up front is the coils (and brake line extensions all around?)

and for the rear i need longer shocks (i need new shocks anyways as it is)...

as far as making my own rear leafs, how is that done? are they used from another truck's factory suspension or something?

and what exactly is a "locker" for the rear wheel?

ive been into the low rider scene for a while (still am) and ive never owned a lifted truck/suv, thats why i dont know much about this type of suspension mods lol

i also found this link and was curious about it as well......

http://www.lunghd.com/Tech_Articles/Suspension_Steering_Axles_and_Brakes/Budget_Lift.htm

Last edited:
i don't agree with that. you could gain a lot of experience from workin on it yourself. check out the jeepspeed threads on here! you'll spend a ton of money paying somebody else to do it... you can do a lot in a 2wd if you have a locker, and if you ever get a 4x4, you'll do even better. i'd start with the 3.5 and some 31's if i were you, and take your time on the install. you'll be glad you did it yourself when you get done. you can lower the crossmember with the same "tcase" drop you've read about. all the tcase drop does is lower the crossmember anyway. you DO have one of those, so do it up!

a locker is like positive traction, but more positive. it's good stuff.
look up "bastard pack" in the search button. you can use s10 leafsprings and save a buttload of money, and get a decent height and ride out of 'em

heres a pic of my jeep btw-

93 4.0L with 150k miles, runs great, needs a few things here and there to fix up, but only cost me $950 bux

i had brand new 235/75/15s on my dakota that i sold so i put those tires on these silver rims that are in the pics below, (new tires arent in the pic) so im not even sure that im gonna lift it right away since i have BRAND NEW tires....and if i lift id obviously want bigger tires...

interior is almost all gray now, ill post better pics when i finish it up, i redid the carpet and headliner and dyed all the panels. ill prally never mud in this, its just my daily driver for now.

DSCF3226.jpg

DSCF3224.jpg

DSCF3225.jpg

DSCF3227.jpg

theres a tiny bit of rust in the floor board under the rear seat, ill ghetto repair it, prally just rivet something over it and call it a day

but yea overall great buy, im happy with it

this one has a cheap paint job, from a few feet it looks nice (no scratches or anything) but theres HORRIBLE orange peel in it and runs some areas too. but oh well maybe ill wetsand it one day.

welcome aboard, dont let the naysayers scare you off, installing a lift is nothing...

its allways nice to have new people from differant scene's

lifting a jeep is like dropping a car, a little bit of suspension heigh change isnt very difficult, but the farther you go, the more shit gets in the way... 6.5 takes a LOT of modification/cash to run

DEFINATELY get a locker for the rear if it plans to see dirt... some would say not to wheel a 2wd, but you can have fun in them, just no rock crawling or mudding.

you could get a locker for your rear axle easily for about $300

I agree. Its in great shape. Not bad for the money. Also, I agree on the S-10 leaf springs. Start there, get your self a used set from which ever source suits you best. Probably for around $100 I'd say. Install them and see how much lift you gain. After you have that measurement, lift the front accordingly. You will need the coils, at least the lower control arms, longer shocks, extended brake lines, an adjustable track bar or lowering bracket, and depending how high you go, I'd say a drop pitman arm. You can also get the pitman and track bar, they are longer and will work just fine for a guy/gal on a budget out of a V8 Grand Cherokee ZJ. While you are sourcing out the ZJ, grab the tierod and all of that type of stuff. You can find people parting them out on Craigslist.com and get the parts for next to nothing. If you gain any more then 3 inches total lift on the Jeep, Yes. grab the "transfer case" lowering kit. They are nothing more the steel bars or poly type pucks. It will help you keep your driveline angle in the rear at proper specs. It will reduce vibrations. A locker will help you in offroad conditions. It will give you traction to both wheels when under acceleration or constant speed. When you let off the gas to negotiate a turn, it will act as an "open" diff and create less wear on your tires and drive line. Its a great addition to any Jeep. I'd stick with 31in tires. That Jeep most likely has a Dana 35 rear axle. Not the strongest jeep offered. 31s should give your axle no problems. Lastly, I also agree to doing it yourself. These Jeeps are fairly simply to work on. Grab a repair manual, educate yourself by reading a lot of good info on this site and many others like it, and give it a shot. Don't be afraid to ask lots of questions. The only STUPID question is the question NOT asked. Do it right, learn some stuff and have fun!!! Good luck!!

Last edited:
Back