• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Driver's Door Leaks

Mudshack

NAXJA Forum User
Only when I go through a car wash will water leak through the top of the driver's door. And I mean POUR in. Not even in the heaviest rain has it come in. Just during car wash.

Driving down the road, the wind noise from the top of the door is really bad. Many times people ask me if my door is closed. I can get the door to flex a little bit, but the sound is constant.

I have looked at the rubber moulding and just can't see where there is a problem. Everything looks good.

Any suggestions?

Sure, along with suggestions comes a little physics lesson.

When you drive down the road, the faster paced air moving across your vehicle creates lower pressure outside and higher pressure inside. So, while your cab is basically a presurized capsule driving down the road, any water that may get to your molding will be blown away from it by the higher inside pressure escaping. When you're sitting still at the car wash, the pressure is (if not greater) equal on the outside from the pressure of the water.

So, to attempt to cure your leak...Clean up your door molding really well. On the molding smear on some baby powder all the way around. Close your door and open it. The places where your door isn't sealing will leave the powder untouched. A good seal will have a line going the whole way around the molding showing the exact mating surface.

Once you've located the trouble zone, you can use some muscle to manipulate the door back into the right curve or adjust your striker. To put a little bit of bend in the top of the door, place a 2x4 block or something similar between the bottom of the door and the door frame and push at the top of the door, opposite for the bottom. I think you get the picture. Good luck!

In addition to the above, don't forget to check the top hinge, to make sure it's not pulliing outward (especially if it's a 2-door). If the hinge looks good and the edges of the door line up where they ought to both front and rear, you're left with the bending of the top. It sounds drastic but it's pretty common to have to do this every once in a blue moon.

nono, if there is a leak then there is a gap between the door frame and the weatherstrip. you need to find that gap. look at the weatherstripping to find where the gap is.

Possible, but not likely. The seal is going to be losing contact with the door itself, not the frame which is it's mounting side. The seal can be in perfect condition and if it's not touching the door because the door/hinges/striker aren't in the correct fitting spot, a leak will develop.

The weather stripping is attached to the frame. And it is attached all the way. I must be going between the door and the weather stripping.

That would be most likely. Way to cover all bases though.

nono, if there is a leak then there is a gap between the door frame and the weatherstrip. you need to find that gap. look at the weatherstripping to find where the gap is.

The door itself has a frame around the glass.

If I had meant to refer to the body I would have referred to the body.

So, now it't not the door frame, but rather the window frame? Because the body side is what frames the door. I wouldn't think the door would frame itself.

Oh, so in all reality, you're talking about the door itself...

:roflmao:That large space/non structural item is a window. Unless you're talking about what thw window goes in, in which case, it's a door. Take away the component you described, you're taking away the whole door.

Last edited:
Back