• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

MAP sensor rubber plug

kenny811

NAXJA Forum User
So on a brand new 4.0 in my 89 the rubber plug of the MAP sensor has pop out 3 times (in about 2 hours) it fits pretty snug so I dont thing its a vibration thing. I also found the little plactic tube to be broken. I fixed that with some rubber tube. But its the popping out that consernse me. Anybody have this problem before? I used a little dab of hi temp silicone. But I would like to know why its doing it.

Thanks
Kenny

Its popping out of the throttle body or popping off the MAP sensor?

I'd bet from the trottle body, that's pretty common.

Just dab some RTV on the outside of the tube or rubber block (whichever is coming free), that'll hold it in there just fine. (Happened on my '89 about six year ago, that fix has held the entire time)

Sorry Joe Peters, the throttle body. I did the RTV and is seems to be holding in there. While talking about this, what the top hole for? The bottom hole has the tube?

Sorry Joe Peters, the throttle body. I did the RTV and is seems to be holding in there. While talking about this, what the top hole for? The bottom hole has the tube?

The upper hole isn't a hole at all, it's just a block off. I don't know why the throttle body has two holes in it.

The upper hole isn't a hole at all, it's just a block off. I don't know why the throttle body has two holes in it.

Agreed. Might be used on overseas XJs but that is only a guess.

Cool, well the RTV seems to work. I was talking to a buddy that runs an Auto Zone here in Vancouver wa. He said you cant even get that tube peice. YOu can get the sensor ($24) but not the tube peice. After looking at it, it doesn't seem to hard to modify. With the right sizr rubber plug and tubing.

Cool, well the RTV seems to work. I was talking to a buddy that runs an Auto Zone here in Vancouver wa. He said you cant even get that tube peice. YOu can get the sensor ($24) but not the tube peice. After looking at it, it doesn't seem to hard to modify. With the right sizr rubber plug and tubing.

I ALWAYS hate to disagree with the Vatozone guys, but here is both parts of the vacuum harness--it has been changed to plastic/rubber:

DORMAN Part # 46004
MoreInfo.gif
{HELP! - Carded #53004868}
Vacuum Harness; Rear
getimage.php

$17.19$0.00$17.19
AddToCart.gif

DORMAN Part # 46003
MoreInfo.gif
{HELP! - Carded #53004838}
Vacuum Harness; Front
getimage.php

$17.19$0.00$17.19
The first part, the REAR harness piece, has the MAP/throttle body tube.

Back