• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear Swaybar Upgrade

Shogun

NAXJA Forum User
Need to upgrade (increase diameter/stiffness) the rear swaybar due to roof loads. Has anybody ever done or heard of this being done? Where to locate a new bar or upgrade present bar? I thought of welding on a tube around existing but that wont work due to bends (and it would transfer the load to parts of the bar without added materiel). Would a spring shop fab these things?

I have an 8.8 but using the original bar.

Yea, I know, its not the direction crawlers go, but its not a crawler.

Thanks

Hellwig or Hotchkiss are the two manufacturers that come to mind.

I thought of welding on a tube around existing
============================
The bar is tempered. Welding will soften it in some spots and often make it very bridal in others. Generally stay away from welding or heating to a cherry red or hotter of any tempered medal. sway bars, springs, coil or leaf etc.
If you can't find a ready to go bar. Try looking under almost anything that is as wide as the XJ with leaf springs. You will be surprised on how easy they adapt.

Last edited:
Addco.. I have one in front and its great.. I have a rear one sitting in storage that I need to install, but I need to locate bushings and the rest of the mounting hardware for it..

Another vote for Addco it also works great in the rear.

Addco 0.875"
Hellwig 0.75"
Hotchkis ZJ only

Don't go too big you still want some oversteer to keep it safe.

Back