• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

getting muddy tomorrow

shortbussrydah

NAXJA Forum User
looking forward to doing a little mudding out at holy jim tomorrow at 1pmish. if anybody wants to join your welcome, but its a little late notice haha. i will be in my white cherokee and my friend is taking his yellow wrangler. give us a shout out if you see us, ill have some pics up tomorrow night

first time getting the jeep muddy, wohoo!:cheers:

Be careful and be smart, I've heard alot of ticketing happens there when people go to play in the mud.

You do realize the only legal place to be there is one the main road.

What most people refer to as Holy Jim Canyon is actually a service road that leads to a beautiful hiking trail.

Every time it rains people run out there to play in the massive puddles that form, and dig big holes in the road by spinning tires and such in the mudholes, making them deeper and making the road next to impossible for average vehicles to drive down when the road is dry. there are also alot of offshoots where people have blazed their own trails off the main road up into the hills, which is just as illegal as driving off the street into your local city park to do burnouts.

Personally I try to shy people away from Holy Jim, but if you want to drive responsibly out there that's fine. Just be wary of the rangers that sit out there when it rains, they might not believe that your lifted rig on mud terrains was just slowly creeping along the road.

just my 2¢

My personal favorite for mudding is the washes at Ocotillo after a good rain.

it was tons of fun. good foot or two of muddy puddles to romp through. nice new paintjob. i didnt do any of the offshoots from the main road like i usually do just because i only went out to go mudding and i dont have any money to fix what i break. ill get pics up very soon

interesting though, as far as i know its got different land use permits than other places. there are always dirtbikes out there, though about 50% of them are dualsports

well, i had no idea it was illegal so with that knowledge i wont be doing it any more. just wish i could find a closer place to go tool around. thats only a 15-20 minute drive from my house, everything else legal is pretty far.

grimm have you ever actually seen anyoneor know anyone who has gotten a ticket out there?

I have seen folks get tickets and I was questioned one time about 4 years ago. I like to go back there for the creek and waterfalls. As long as you stay on the main road, drive the speed limit, and follow all of the rules on the BIG sign at the begining of the road you are good to go.

You can get your Jeep a little dirty there, but don't go off of the main road.

well, i had no idea it was illegal so with that knowledge i wont be doing it any more. just wish i could find a closer place to go tool around. thats only a 15-20 minute drive from my house, everything else legal is pretty far.

grimm have you ever actually seen anyoneor know anyone who has gotten a ticket out there?

I have seen several people get tickets there, and have personally towed 5 rigs out of Holy Jim after hydrolocking .. 2 xj's and 3 rangers.

Two of them got tickets when we got to the pavement.

Fortuntely for me, the lack of mud on my vehicles makes for a strong arguement that I behave. :)

where in socal you live shortbus?

city of orange

with all those threats of tickets i guess i wont be going much any more. but none the less it was a great time

here are a couple examples of what i shouldnt have been doing :angel:

4015524392_c49a402a60.jpg

4014762207_96f8bc55ac.jpg

buddy's TJ going through. he's a bit more aggressive on the skinny pedal
4015526480_4a1e263bfc.jpg

nice little paintjob
4015526902_9261cb21db.jpg

Back