• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

weird radio, speaker event?

TBCherokee

NAXJA Forum User
I took my radio out to fix a dash problem,
when i went to put it back in, i clipped the 2 factory wire clips back on,
then as i started to clip the ground on back on,
i heard this fast
tick tick tick tick, from under the glovebox?
as soon as i connected the ground it stopped.
got it all back together, was afraid i might have blown something, but all dash and lights and radio works,
but now my front passenger speaker doesn't work?
i fixed the driver speaker last year and did passenger one to make same type speaker,
all worked great, haven't played it for a long time.
my Question is
do you guys think that tick tick sound did something to the passenger speaker?
or do you think it was just a fluke and now the passenger side speaker wires need fixed?

plus anyone know what that was under the dash that could make a sound like that?
thanks

Well I'm an audio engineer and it sounds like maybe you blew the coil in the speaker and you just thought that the noise was under the dash. Did u have the key on when you hooked it up was the battery connected? Do you have an AMP that powers those speakers?

Good luck with the speaker let us know what happens!

hey, fixed the problem,
don't know what the tick tick tick fast sound under the dash was, but guess it didn't hurt anything.
my speaker problem was a fluke,
when i got in the door panel, i saw my wiring job of last summer had
broken off.
rewired and all is good as new.

still don't know what the ticking was though, was right under the glove box. but oh well, ?
guess all is ok. for now! grin!

Good to hear!

Hey, when I replaced my stock am/fm cassette with a OEM am/fm/cd/cass...I encounted the same noise.

Plugged in the back two connectors, then got a fast clicking noise from somewhere under the dash...scare the h-ll outta me.

Pluged in the antenna and ground wire...it stopped...no damage apparently...

I have no idea what that souns is I did mine about 2 months ago but I also had the battery terms disco'd and i didnt hear anything. UNDO THE BATTERY WHEN DOING ANYTHING ELECTRICAL ON ANY PART OF ANY XJ!
leason learned?.... Good no go back to playing childrens

the brick ;
i have a OEM radio/cass/cd also
wonder if it has something to do with that.

or maybe i should have connected the ground first.
i did same thing you did, i connected the two terminals first , then heard the noise , then did the ground and it stopped.

1985xjlaredo said:
UNDO THE BATTERY WHEN DOING ANYTHING ELECTRICAL ON ANY PART OF ANY XJ!
Ya, I thought this was common knowledge, it is one of the first step in the installation manuals.
Undo the battery when doing anything electrical on any part of anything, not just an XJ. Same concept of unplug an appliance before you start taking it apart or sticking metal tools in it.

1985xjlaredo said:
I have no idea what that souns is...I had the battery terms disco'd and i didnt hear anything. UNDO THE BATTERY WHEN DOING ANYTHING ELECTRICAL ON ANY PART OF ANY XJ!
x3, at least then you could be worring about something under the hood instead. LOL...J/K

That is kinda weird. It's not unusual for one component to find a ground path through another component. A lot of unintentional things take place because of that. I changed the front clip on my old Ford, installed a newer harness in the process, had the steering column out at the same time, never compared wiring diagrams for the different years involved. Now my horn works only when the lights are off, I'm thinking my ground goes hot when the lights are on. LOL "I'm gonna have to fix that one of these days"...Pa Kettle

Back