• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Local shop willing to rebuild steering box?

boostleak

NAXJA Forum User
It seems that most local shops, even some that have been known to rebuild pumps and boxes, are no longer doing so. I've got at least one I'd like to rebuild, possibly a second. If I can get both rebuilt for the cost (or less) than a reman, then I'd be game. The two shops I spoke with yesterday said they no longer rebuild steering components due to liability.
I've read through the process - if I had the time and a clean space to do the job, I'd probably do it myself, but then I'm not qualified to judge the wear and tear of the internal components. I'd like to find someone to do the job that knows what they're doing.
Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Pull a part. It is cheaper. Up here I can get one for 15$

$45 down here without a core - and only $5 for the core. Add in my time, gas for my Dodge, it's just not worth it considering the possibility of picking up another dud.
Steering isn't something I want to screw with - especially considering that my wife enjoys driving the Jeep around town more than our two newer cars. I wheel it, she takes it to the tanning salon. I'm willing to pay a professional to rebuild it for me if there's a warranty involved, and the shop has a good reputation.
I hit up U-Pull-It if I've got a shopping list, and the parts aren't likely to kill me or my family if they fail. Window regulators, trim, seats, etc...

You must have some bad luck. I have never had a steering box fail and all my parts are second hand. T-case, steering box, water pump, tranny, axles, engine, and other stuff as well. There isn't that much to go wrong. But to each his own.

A rebuilt box is still "second hand", I just prefer to spend my money where it counts. Steering & brakes are two areas I'm not going to scrimp. I've got my core ready to go - picking up a new box tomorrow.

dang that sucks that your still having issues with that, hopefully it all works out. And I completely understand where your coming from. I would want to fool around with the steering either,especially if my wife and daughter were cruising in it.

P.S You didnt tell me that their was a krispy kream near by when i picked up the track bar.LoL i had to drop by and get 2 dozen.LoL

Oh yeah - dude, there's a Krispy Kreme about two exits down from where we met up, lol. Had you asked, I'd have told you! That's actually where we meet up with my ex wife every week during the school year to do the kid swap - but sadly (and thankfully), we rarely stop for the dognuts.
The steering thing is a bummer - the Jeep isn't moving until I swap in a new box, due to both the leak, and the fact that the thing had the strangest "dead spot" I've ever felt. It's far worse than it was before swapping in the "new" box in every regard. I should have the new gear installed this weekend, though. You going to have your front axle done?

Are you sure its in your box? I have been battling with a steering dead spot for a while. After a couple runs up airplane hill.. I will end up with a good 60 degree dead spot, almost half a turn. It is usually that the steering setup I have has come loose. Once I dial in all the rod ends, make sure everything is tight and where it should be.. I end up with about 15 degree dead spot. Which is very manageable. I am going to go with the currie setup soon, which should be an improvement.

I guess what I meant to say was.. check your rod ends, make sure there is no extra play and all the jam nuts are jammed.

It's more than that - the original box didn't have a dead spot - just lost power every once in a while. It was getting progressively worse. I've got a brand-spanking new Currie steering setup and RE track bar, so everything else in the system is nice and tight. The "new" remanufactured box felt fine in the garage before it started to bleed out, but going down the road it was a nightmare. When I finally made it home (swapped it out in a friend's garage a few miles away), I was shaking and thanking God that I didn't get pulled over for drunk driving or end up on my lid. I honestly think either the worm gear is hogged out, or the sector shaft bearing is completely shot - I noticed a bit of shaft play while we were cycling the steering.

Just picked up my new (rebuilt) steering box a few minutes ago - can't say I've been this excited for such a dirty job before. I'm just stoked to get this thing back out on the trail - possibly heading up to TSF Saturday afternoon or Sunday to play.

Back