• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Adding factory soundbar?

obaa-xj

NAXJA Forum User
I've got a '90 2dr stripper model, and have been slowly adding bits and pieces to it. The other day, I picked up a factory soundbar and lighted visors off CL; the seller said they were from a '94 4 door.
Can someone tell me where exactly the soundbar was originally mounted (a pic would be great!). From what I could find here, it was originally somewhere either behind the passenger seat, or by the rear hatch, and held up by the headliner trim.
On mine, the headliner trim along the rear window is metal. The soundbar does not look like it would fit underneath the trim, and I can't imagine cutting the trim without mangling it. The other possibilty is under the plastic trim that's on the D pillar, but the soundbar doesn't look wide enough to span that distance. There is also a metal trim that holds the rear of the headliner in place, so I don't think this can be removed without the headline sagging....

By the rear hatch, a few inches from it in fact (6-8 as I recall.) Held up by the headliner trim most definitely, possibly by the mounting for the cargo light as well? I'm not sure, ehall probably will know way more than I do about this. I've subscribed to remind me to measure and post back with offset from the rear hatch trim edge after work.

Thanks! I'd appreciate it. 6-8" puts it about 1/3 of the way into the cargo area? So it is held up by the metal side rails, and not the plastic D pillar trim? Could you let me know if the trim needs to cut, or if the soundbar is just wedged underneath it?
Thanks again!

Turns out I was entirely wrong! It's where I thought it was, but only 2" (almost exactly) between the forward edge of the hatch roof trim and the trailing edge of the soundbar. I don't think the trim is cut, but I'm not sure - I really should remember that detail because I just pulled all this trim off to snake a 1/4" poly tube over my headliner for my airhorn. I'll look in a bit.

It is normally clsoe to the back, but you can really put it anywhere.

The search button does work, really it does. Here is my thread with "soundbar" in the search box. Did you get the bracket that you need for the back as well. It gets attached to the rear of the roof/hatch support and is glued to the roof. My thread has pics of the bracket as well in it. And mine is an 89' that I put it in so yes it fits with no issues.
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=943895&highlight=soundbar

Last edited:
Thanks for your post. I did search for soundbar, but I looked in the modified and oem tech forums; I didn't see your post in there (btw, very nice job!).
I never got a bracket with mine; it looks like I'll need to try and hunt one down. I never would have known about it without these posts.

I grabbed a sound bar out of a '97, extended the wires so I could splice them to the stock rear ones, and mounted it all up. As far as mounting goes I put the bar in the metal top trim pieces and centered it right where the brace is in the back (just above/behind the rear passenger seats), grabbed a self tapping screw out of the lower trim piece, took a drill, pushed hard and put the self tapper through the dome light in the sound bar to the roof support.

Worked like a charm on the first rig, and again on the new rig (I installed the sound bar originally 2-3 months ago...till I rolled her, which by the way even though the side that the sound bar hooked up to was all smashed from the roll, it still looks great and holds its self up).

interiorow.jpg

^There's the best pic I could find from work.

~Scott

Last edited:
Back