• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

'89 4.0 L Injector O-Ring Replacement

RAVC1

NAXJA Forum User
I smell fuel periodically and now that it has become cold in MI I notice this more often. I also see stains on my fuel rail occassionally so I do the math and determine from these visual clues that I need to replace my injector o-rings in the manifold and in the rail.

The procedure in the FSM looks easy but I am concerned regarding the direction it gives for the o-rings you receive from the dealership. The FSM clearly states you receive 13 o-rings; (12) for the injectors and (1) for the rail pressure regulator. However, the FSM continues stating that (6) o-rings are brown and (6) are black and these cannot be interchanged.

The part number I received is 83503637. There are (13) o-rings but they are all black and all the same size. Of course, the dealer arrived at this part by superceded part numbers but I wanted to post this to see if anyone here can verify if I have the correct o-rings.

I do not want to learn I do not have the correct o-rings after I remove the rail from the engine.

Thanks in advance,

Rick

normally if you go to a part store and get fuel o-rings from the "help" section, you want to make sure that they are brown......i guess that used to be the standard.......

but nowadays there are more and more manufacturers (including dealers) coming up with new style black o-rings for fuel. as long as they are listed and sold as being for fuel system, then you'll be fine. and if the dealer actually sells them to you under the correct part number, then you'll be fine.

I've used this kit on both my Comanches. Did it just last week on my 89. Somewhere along the line they've changed that brown and black stuff, I suppose. I've had no problems. Use vasoline when installing. On the o-rings.:sure:

I just changed the O-Rings on my 87 Wagoneer with a 4.0 and it is very easy to do just make sure that the injectors are lined up correctly so you do not cut a o-Ring. Also the local parts store had them in stock and mine were Brown. Cost about 10.00 for a set of 13. My only problem is now my pressure line has a very slight drip when you wiggle it up and down. Make sure you check that fitting also. GOOD LUCK!!!

mcnamaag said:
I just changed the O-Rings on my 87 Wagoneer with a 4.0 and it is very easy to do just make sure that the injectors are lined up correctly so you do not cut a o-Ring. Also the local parts store had them in stock and mine were Brown. Cost about 10.00 for a set of 13. My only problem is now my pressure line has a very slight drip when you wiggle it up and down. Make sure you check that fitting also. GOOD LUCK!!!

You need this #. 83502745 repair kit. A whopping $16.35 Wholesale! $20.44 without. Or don't wiggle your pressure line.:D

Thanks for the info is that part number for the line or for a seal. The line seams to run all of the way to the tank. Does it join some place in the middle or is it one solid line? Also does anyone have the adj for the Kick-down cable or do you know where to find it? THANKS

I beleive that number is for the kit, that makes the quick disconect that is in the connection. It lasts one maybe two times and then you have to replace it. you put it in and put the lines together and done. good luck

XJING said:
I beleive that number is for the kit, that makes the quick disconect that is in the connection. It lasts one maybe two times and then you have to replace it. you put it in and put the lines together and done. good luck

What he said. Installation tool, new o-rings, o-ring spacer, new clip(you'll break the old one). install into fuel regulator, then install fuel line. Spiffy! Order it before you do the job, you'll get blank stares from most part stores and possibly the dealer. They don't even show it for a Comanche. But after I gave them number they were able to find as a part for a Cherokee. Thank god for forums.:rolleyes:

Back